Welcome to the GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post New Thread Reply

Register GFY Rules Calendar
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >
Discuss what's fucking going on, and which programs are best and worst. One-time "program" announcements from "established" webmasters are allowed.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
acrylix
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Google's Penguin Update

Personally haven't been hit by this one yet (minus one small blog). But have had Google smack down a quality handwritten site before which never recovered, so I feel the pain. That site was my pride and joy...but it got knocked out after some scraper posted thousands of off-topic anchor text links to me all over various spammy sites. That happened years ago, but the usual cadre of Google worshipers were still bahhing about how Google would never do such a thing.

For those who still think that just playing by the rules, and creating quality original content will keep your sites safe, I ask what you will do when an external "over-optimization" penalty comes knocking at your door? File a re-inclusion request?

Google has finally admitted that other webmasters are "able to harm your ranking or have your site removed from our index."

http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=34449

Quote:
Google works hard to prevent other webmasters from being able to harm your ranking or have your site removed from our index. If you're concerned about another site linking to yours, we suggest contacting the webmaster of the site in question. Google aggregates and organizes information published on the web; we don't control the content of these pages.
Did you get that first sentence?
acrylix is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
$5 submissions
I help you SUCCEED

Industry Role:
I hear where you are coming from. This is still the adjustment phase. Expect more wild gyrations soon.

With that said, BH and gray hat forums have been buzzing endlessly about Penguin's inner workings.

Maybe this is a signal to focus on a few sites and really work on quality and creating a meaningful user experience through ETHICAL means, no?
$5 submissions is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
ckamp1

Industry Role:
That sucks!
ckamp1 is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Cash4Me
Confirmed User

Penguin update is still alive, don't bother too much.
Negative SEO is a problem that we know for years and now google scientists say it's true, sarcastic.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
signupdamnit
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Much of the issue is that Google is primarily concerned about hitting large corporations and brands. Smaller brands and sites seem to be seen as some sort of collateral damage. It is easier to get hit by a "spam penalty" if you are a small fry than if you have a bigger site and brand. There almost appears to be a presumption where if your site is small or less popular then you are some sort of spammer or low quality.

If Google can't make an algorithm change without causing 10% or higher false positives then if they had any sense at all they just wouldn't do it until they could prevent this. The song and dance about only affecting 3% of queries is obviously a bunch of bullshit. Google doesn't lose a thing besides some Goodwill by screwing a big percentage of smaller webmasters. But it's their site so what can you do besides but up some links to Bing?

Last edited by signupdamnit; 04-28-2012 at 06:22 PM..
signupdamnit is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
VforVendetta
Confirmed User

Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
just a punk
So fuckin' bored

Industry Role:
Check this out: http://www.google.com/search?q=python+hosting

Old 04-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
$5 submissions
I help you SUCCEED

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSEO View Post
OK

There's other examples of the #1 result being an empty page

$5 submissions is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #9
just a punk
So fuckin' bored

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylix View Post

Personally haven't been hit by this one yet (minus one small blog). But have had Google smack down a quality handwritten site before which never recovered, so I feel the pain. That site was my pride and joy...but it got knocked out after some scraper posted thousands of off-topic anchor text links to me all over various spammy sites. That happened years ago, but the usual cadre of Google worshipers were still bahhing about how Google would never do such a thing.

For those who still think that just playing by the rules, and creating quality original content will keep your sites safe, I ask what you will do when an external "over-optimization" penalty comes knocking at your door? File a re-inclusion request?

Google has finally admitted that other webmasters are "able to harm your ranking or have your site removed from our index."

http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=34449

Did you get that first sentence?
https://docs.google.com/a/google.com...E6M Q&ndplr=1
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Cash4Me
Confirmed User

Quote:

Serps relevance is lost for a lot of queries.
What a great goal.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Klen

Industry Role:
Quote:
Interesting considering some people said how with this update keyword domains will lose it's advantage,this prove opposite.

Inquiries which are not related to administration or advertising on GFY wont be processed.
Klen is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Spudman
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VforVendetta View Post
this is brilliant, made me laugh!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
acrylix
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Another Penguin success story. I'm sure the Google webspam team is busy as we speak analyzing each of the tens of thousands of pleas to reconsider penalized "quality" sites. NOT
acrylix is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
acrylix
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by $5 submissions View Post
Maybe this is a signal to focus on a few sites and really work on quality and creating a meaningful user experience through ETHICAL means, no?
It's always a good idea to create quality sites. But with the current volatility of Google, I wouldn't be putting all my eggs into just a few. As posted above, Google has openly admitted that you can be smacked down, and even de-indexed, due to factors completely outside of your control. Though many of us believe this is nothing new...the fact that they're not beating around the bush anymore about it is.

Interestingly, they make no mention of contacting Google about any shady "over-optimization" tactics a competitor may be doing to you. Instead, their helpful suggestion is to contact each of the hundreds/thousands of sites which are linking to you.

Add to that the way Penguin's been slaughtering folks since it waddled into the SERPs...and I'd say it doesn't exactly create a climate where one feels safe about pouring their blood, sweat, and tears into just a few super high-quality sites.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
2intense
Too lazy to set a custom title

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VforVendetta View Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
CyberHustler
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
CyberHustler is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
SpeedoDave
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
My blog AussieGayGuy.com has been fluctuating from 2K google results a day 3 months ago, then down to 500, back up to 1,000 and then last week it jumped back up to 2K.

Business as usual here but some pretty wild traffic swings I tell you.

Dave
Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
georgeyw
58008 53773

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoDave View Post
My blog AussieGayGuy.com has been fluctuating from 2K google results a day 3 months ago, then down to 500, back up to 1,000 and then last week it jumped back up to 2K.

Business as usual here but some pretty wild traffic swings I tell you.

Dave
Aren't you the guy who speedo was suing?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
asdasd
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Amusements!
asdasd is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Reply
Go Back   GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum > >