Eye Fi Technical question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mikesouth
    Confirmed User
    • Jun 2003
    • 6340

    #1

    Eye Fi Technical question

    I have a video camera that is eye fi compatible I have ordered the eye fi card and am interested in using it to webcam shoots Live.

    my understanding is that the eye fi card will continuously transmit the video wirelessly to a laptop, tablet desktop or whatever and that I can tell the device where in the filesystem to store the video stream

    now my question is does anyone know of any software that could grab that stream and send it out to a streaming server?

    I googled but couldnt come up with anything.

    TIA
    Mike South

    It's No wonder I took up drugs and alcohol, it's the only way I could dumb myself down enough to cope with the morons in this biz.
  • CT-Content
    So Fucking Intelligent
    • Aug 2012
    • 434

    #2
    With all the talent on this board, someone will be in here to help ya out.

    Comment

    • mikesouth
      Confirmed User
      • Jun 2003
      • 6340

      #3
      the idea of streaming a shoot live straight from the main camera without having to deal with cables and such appeals to me
      Mike South

      It's No wonder I took up drugs and alcohol, it's the only way I could dumb myself down enough to cope with the morons in this biz.

      Comment

      • candyflip
        Carpe Visio
        • Jul 2002
        • 43074

        #4
        According to the EyeFi Forums, this wouldn't be possible because the EyeFi does not transfer the file until you've actually stopped the camera from recording.

        It doesn't stream from the camera to the laptop, it simply transfers it (which it seems you already know) but only AFTER you've stopped recording.

        At that point, it would seem moot as it is no longer a live stream.

        Spend you some brain.
        Email Me

        Comment

        • RevSand
          Confirmed User
          • Oct 2003
          • 8151

          #5
          Originally posted by candyflip
          According to the EyeFi Forums, this wouldn't be possible because the EyeFi does not transfer the file until you've actually stopped the camera from recording.

          It doesn't stream from the camera to the laptop, it simply transfers it (which it seems you already know) but only AFTER you've stopped recording.

          At that point, it would seem moot as it is no longer a live stream.
          Thats how I always understood it also.. And even if it did transmit to the laptop while recording I would be super afraid of the lag it would have from camera to laptop then outbound.


          BadBitchesGoodWeed


          Hire me for all your video shooting needs!!
          Skype = RevSandx

          Comment

          • 2MuchMark
            Mark of 2Much.net
            • Aug 2004
            • 51136

            #6
            Hi Mike,

            It won't work. First, Eye Fi is slow as hell. I bought it to zap photos instantly to my computer while shooting but it just takes forever. And even if it was fast, the streaming software would have to recognize the Eye fi as a "streaming device" which it is not. Your OS sees it as a kind of storage device, kind of like a camcorder but without streaming.

            Comment

            • mikesouth
              Confirmed User
              • Jun 2003
              • 6340

              #7
              Thanks y'all I dont have the card yet so I didnt know exactly how it worked too damn bad really that wouldve made it very useful
              Mike South

              It's No wonder I took up drugs and alcohol, it's the only way I could dumb myself down enough to cope with the morons in this biz.

              Comment

              • RevSand
                Confirmed User
                • Oct 2003
                • 8151

                #8
                Originally posted by mikesouth
                Thanks y'all I dont have the card yet so I didnt know exactly how it worked too damn bad really that wouldve made it very useful
                I wish it worked that way! If someone were to come up w/ such a device they would make a mint!


                BadBitchesGoodWeed


                Hire me for all your video shooting needs!!
                Skype = RevSandx

                Comment

                • spooks69
                  Confirmed User
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 109

                  #9
                  Could you Rig a WIFI IP camera with a battery, and use it? Seems logical!
                  www.camgirlbank.com

                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
                  ~Thomas Edison

                  Comment

                  Working...