GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum

GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum (https://gfy.com/index.php)
-   Fucking Around & Business Discussion (https://gfy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Wind farms. Fucking everywhere ! (https://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1138436)

Scott McD 04-15-2014 09:34 AM

Wind farms. Fucking everywhere !

Come visit our beautiful country and see our wonderful scenery...

http://toryardvaark.files.wordpress..../windfarm4.jpg

Went out a drive today since the weather was pretty nice, and all you see around here now is this.

Not exactly the first thing you think of when going out hill walking or wanting to see when just simply out to enjoy the countryside.

http://www.dpenergy.com/wind/scottis...-turbinesb.jpg

:Oh crap:Oh crap

Sly 04-15-2014 09:41 AM

You could always make a push for this…

http://www.climatesoscanada.org/wp-c...-explosion.jpg

MrBottomTooth 04-15-2014 09:41 AM

They are the reason I now pay the highest electricity rates in all of Canada. The liberals were paying ridiculous rates per kw/h for people who put these up (as well as solar panels) and now we have to pay the price. Already highest in Canada with an added 40% increase over the next 4 years. Fuck renewable energy.

BlackCrayon 04-15-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBottomTooth (Post 20050723)
They are the reason I now pay the highest electricity rates in all of Canada. The liberals were paying ridiculous rates per kw/h for people who put these up (as well as solar panels) and now we have to pay the price. Already highest in Canada with an added 40% increase over the next 4 years. Fuck renewable energy.

yep, they have ruined the lake erie shoreline with these things. chatham-kent has the most of them in all of canada.

Scott McD 04-15-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

I read an article here a while ago which was basically weighing up the costs also, and the benefits were not too favourable to say the least. Certainly not short term.

They are putting them up at such a rate here it's actually unbelievable.

We have always used our amazing scenery as a selling point for tourism. I feel that selling point will diminish over the coming years...

Harmon 04-15-2014 09:47 AM

You guys are a pack of faggots. Think about the future. Who gives a shit about what your fucking "shoreline" looks like. Use it for shade, ya fat fuck webmaster. We all know you haven't been out in the sun since 1999. :2 cents:

MrBottomTooth 04-15-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCrayon (Post 20050734)
yep, they have ruined the lake erie shoreline with these things. chatham-kent has the most of them in all of canada.

I am just east of chatham Kent by 15 minutes or so. Luckily no turbines in my backyard. Everyone in my area went solar, which is much less annoying.

Scott McD 04-15-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon (Post 20050738)
You guys are a pack of faggots.

https://gfy.com/image.php?u=31266&dateline=1391788614

A guy with a Justin Bieber avatar and who constantly posts pics of cocks calling people faggots...

:1orglaugh:1orglaugh:1orglaugh

MrBottomTooth 04-15-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

You guys are a pack of faggots. Think about the future. Who gives a shit about what your fucking "shoreline" looks like. Use it for shade, ya fat fuck webmaster. We all know you haven't been out in the sun since 1999. :2 cents:

Say that when your utility costs double or triple over the course of a few years.

Harmon 04-15-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBottomTooth (Post 20050746)
Say that when your utility costs double or triple over the course of a few years.

No, blame that on your votes and their lobbyists. Yes, wind power should be more expensive than coal, nuclear or whatever. :1orglaugh:1orglaugh

PR_Glen 04-15-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBottomTooth (Post 20050739)
I am just east of chatham Kent by 15 minutes or so. Luckily no turbines in my backyard. Everyone in my area went solar, which is much less annoying.

I have friends with them in their backyard in that area and I didn't even notice it until we drove by in a cart.. silent despite being gigantic. Not seeing a problem here at all. If anything they make what would be a dull empty landscape interesting to look at.

bigdave26 04-15-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott McD (Post 20050742)
A guy with a Justin Bieber avatar and who constantly posts pics of cocks calling people faggots...

:1orglaugh:1orglaugh:1orglaugh

hahahaha

Scott McD 04-15-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PR_Glen (Post 20050763)
If anything they make what would be a dull empty landscape interesting to look at.

You can't be serious ??

seeandsee 04-15-2014 10:59 AM

you want green energy, pay for it!

MrBottomTooth 04-15-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

I have friends with them in their backyard in that area and I didn't even notice it until we drove by in a cart.. silent despite being gigantic. Not seeing a problem here at all. If anything they make what would be a dull empty landscape interesting to look at.

I don't have an issue with the appearance personally because I live in what is basically a farmland and bush area, although I can see why someone wouldn't want them in their back yard. And I don't know anything about the low frequencies they put off that supposedly drive some people crazy as I haven't been around them long enough to see if I notice it.

What bothers me is them paying the owners of them a ridiculous price per kw as an incentive to put them up (in most cases locked in for 20 years), when we already have more electricity than we already need. So much so that we are literally GIVING away our excess power to the US and other provinces. Wait, not only are we giving it away, sometimes we have to PAY people to take it. Yet we are paying the highest price for electricity in Canada.

Excellent business plan.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-pa...c-u-s-1.599345

MaDalton 04-15-2014 11:08 AM

i think there's nothing wrong with them as long as you dont put them too close to where people live - offshore is fine

the problem is the higher price that is paid for wind power - should not be necessary anymore with nowadays technology

but i take windfarms any time over burning coal or oil and especially over nuclear power

(and now i wait for Vendzilla and the bald eagles...)

L-Pink 04-15-2014 11:22 AM

http://s12.postimg.org/ihr6f56nx/win...agles_bird.jpg

http://s22.postimg.org/euuutb49d/NAi_XCa_Q.jpg

StinkyPink 04-15-2014 11:58 AM

that's good.

MrTrollkien 04-15-2014 12:01 PM

:mad::mad:

brassmonkey 04-15-2014 12:05 PM

they ate him :( :helpme eagle burgers

BlackCrayon 04-15-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBottomTooth (Post 20050739)

i grew up around dresden/wallaceburg. i first saw these things in 2008 when i was visiting and took a drive down highway 3. over the years so many more have popped up and even have them no where near the lake in thamesville, mitchells bay area, etc. we were staying at a cottage in erieau one year and at night you could see dozens of blinking lights all down lake.

i am all for green technology but how much coal is burnt just to create these things in china? how long until these wind towers are no longer viable? so much money is thrown at anything 'green'. it doesn't matter if the technology will be outdated in 5-10 years.

BlackCrayon 04-15-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

these things are so huge, its ridiculous. maybe if they weren't so big it might not make such a huge impact on people. i took this pic several years back on highway 3 near port alma i think.
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...c/IMG_2431.jpg

Scott McD 04-15-2014 12:21 PM

Nothing "interesting" in that pic posted above. An eye sore and nothing less...

Tom_PM 04-15-2014 12:22 PM

I actually don't think they look bad when I see them. To me the picture is of great countryside and yes, there are some of those big turbines there.

And... spilled oil kills more life than those things could ever dream of. The ones that dream I mean.

Paul 04-15-2014 12:36 PM

I agree with you.

The solutions exist, we just don't have a government that give a damn.

Every home in the UK should have their roof covered in solar panels, it won't generate enough power for all our needs (ATM) but it would be a good start.

If it was implemented nationwide you'd have a solar energy industry worth ten times what it is currently worth

That's the sort of level of investment that results in advancements in a technology. Plus with the development of solar panel windows & solar panel roof tiles you'd barely even notice them!

If any of these breakthroughs in battery technology come to fruition 1, 2 & 3 we'd be in a great position to generate a lot of our own power.

Never understood the pull of Wind powered generation, it's expensive to make, expensive to maintain, is an eyesore and as previously mentioned the low frequency noise drives some people nutty.

JA$ON 04-15-2014 01:06 PM

Hopefully they will find a way to make it cost effective soon. Its good in theory, it just not good when it has to be subsidized :(

2MuchMark 04-15-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sly (Post 20050722)
You could always make a push for this?

EXCELLENT post. Personally I love wind farms. They are cool to look at and show a possible future as a major source of energy for an ever-hungry human race.

Quote:

Quite possibly the stupidest thing ever said on GFY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCrayon (Post 20050734)

"Ruined" Lake Erie? How exactly? And you do realize that Oil and Coal are the industries that are actually ruining lakes and waterways by pollution, don't you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott McD (Post 20050737)
I read an article here a while ago which was basically weighing up the costs also, and the benefits were not too favourable to say the least. Certainly not short term.

The costs may be high and the benefits may be limited initially, but it is a huge step in the right direction. Give it time, and let the technology evolve.

Quote:

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Quote:

I would tend to agree. To me, its a beautiful vision of energy & ecology. I *LOVE* the fact that we get electricty by tapping the natural energy of the planet with such minimal impact. I would take Wind Farms over Oil & Coal any day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCrayon (Post 20050942)
these things are so huge, its ridiculous. maybe if they weren't so big it might not make such a huge impact on people. i took this pic several years back on highway 3 near port alma i think.

The bigger they are, the more efficient they are.

2MuchMark 04-15-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JA$ON (Post 20051023)
Hopefully they will find a way to make it cost effective soon. Its good in theory, it just not good when it has to be subsidized :(

It has to be subsidized, and it is very good that it is. New technologies and companies that provide them deserve subsidies.

Oil, Gas and Coal however, do not deserve subsidies. They are the most profitable industry ever and yet still lobby governments for tax breaks and cash. Fuck them. Solar, Wind and other renewable energy deserves attention, not these fuckers.

RebelR 04-15-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBottomTooth View Post
Quite possibly the stupidest thing ever said on GFY.
I know quite a few people who signed up for Ontario's Micro F.I.T Program. They get paid $0.80 per Kwh which is 8 times the market rate for electricity.

The issue with wind is that we can't control when it blows and generally it doesn't happen during peak demand. We end up trying to sell it off to other markets at a loss, so as not to overload the grid.

Quebec has the lowest rates, Ontario is almost at the top. So not sure what you consider stupid about his post.

PR_Glen 04-15-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott McD (Post 20050802)
You can't be serious ??

completely serious, silent. If you go to chatham ontario you will see how boring the skyline is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCrayon (Post 20050934)
i grew up around dresden/wallaceburg. i first saw these things in 2008 when i was visiting and took a drive down highway 3. over the years so many more have popped up and even have them no where near the lake in thamesville, mitchells bay area, etc. we were staying at a cottage in erieau one year and at night you could see dozens of blinking lights all down lake.

i am all for green technology but how much coal is burnt just to create these things in china? how long until these wind towers are no longer viable? so much money is thrown at anything 'green'. it doesn't matter if the technology will be outdated in 5-10 years.

now you are just making up excuses to hate them..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott McD (Post 20050953)
Nothing "interesting" in that pic posted above. An eye sore and nothing less...

are you even looking at the landscape? its fucking flat and dull, i've lived in the area for years now its flat and dull, theres nothing to do or see there its LAME who gives a shit if they stick them there, its all corn fields, corn for live stalk no less.

nimby's are so tiresome. It's a good thing they are becoming fewer and far in between.

DamianJ 04-15-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott McD (Post 20050712)
Come visit our beautiful country and see our wonderful scenery...

Went out a drive today since the weather was pretty nice, and all you see around here now is this.

Not exactly the first thing you think of when going out hill walking or wanting to see when just simply out to enjoy the countryside.

:Oh crap:Oh crap

What do you propose we do instead?

CurrentlySober 04-15-2014 01:53 PM

i like having wind...

PR_Glen 04-15-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBottomTooth (Post 20050853)
I don't have an issue with the appearance personally because I live in what is basically a farmland and bush area, although I can see why someone wouldn't want them in their back yard. And I don't know anything about the low frequencies they put off that supposedly drive some people crazy as I haven't been around them long enough to see if I notice it.

What bothers me is them paying the owners of them a ridiculous price per kw as an incentive to put them up (in most cases locked in for 20 years), when we already have more electricity than we already need. So much so that we are literally GIVING away our excess power to the US and other provinces. Wait, not only are we giving it away, sometimes we have to PAY people to take it. Yet we are paying the highest price for electricity in Canada.

Excellent business plan.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-pa...c-u-s-1.599345

nobody said anything about the business model, we are talking aesthetics and use here. They aren't cost effective yet, nobody would argue against that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 20050982)

Never understood the pull of Wind powered generation, it's expensive to make, expensive to maintain, is an eyesore and as previously mentioned the low frequency noise drives some people nutty.

expensive, definitely. Eyesore? Compared to what? a tree? we are talking about a power source here not a painting, compare it to power lines and tell me again how much of an 'eyesore' they are. Low frequency noise is pure hokum. My friend has a giant dog kennel not even 100 yards from theirs that was put in a few months ago and the dogs don't even notice it, if they can't hear it or be irritated by it its not even possible for people to hear or 'experience' it--not a chance.

BlackCrayon 04-15-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PR_Glen (Post 20051079)
completely serious, silent. If you go to chatham ontario you will see how boring the skyline is.

i have no problem putting them in fields in the middle of nowhere but the limit between a home and a turbine needs to be increased. however the main problem i have is putting them right next to the lake, or even worse *in* the lake as they were proposing near leamington a year or two ago.

Quote:

now you are just making up excuses to hate them..
i am not trying to find excuses, these are legitimate questions. there is also the issue of migrating birds as well as the fact that these turbines push the warm air in the atmosphere down to the ground, causing temperatures to increase.

Quote:

are you even looking at the landscape? its fucking flat and dull, i've lived in the area for years now its flat and dull, theres nothing to do or see there its LAME who gives a shit if they stick them there, its all corn fields, corn for live stalk no less.

nimby's are so tiresome. It's a good thing they are becoming fewer and far in between.
in the picture i posted, across the road is lake erie. if you don't give a shit about the great lakes, well i don't know what to say.

MrBottomTooth 04-15-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebelR (Post 20051063)
I know quite a few people who signed up for Ontario's Micro F.I.T Program. They get paid $0.80 per Kwh which is 8 times the market rate for electricity.

The issue with wind is that we can't control when it blows and generally it doesn't happen during peak demand. We end up trying to sell it off to other markets at a loss, so as not to overload the grid.

Quebec has the lowest rates, Ontario is almost at the top. So not sure what you consider stupid about his post.

Exactly. In fact I would go so far as to say his post declaring my post to be the most stupid thing ever said, as being the dumbest post ever on gfy.:upsidedow

He's from Quebec though so he obviously hasn't been following the electricity boondoggle in Ontario created by the liberals.

We have more power than we need already, so much so that we have to pay people to take it, yet they continue to subsidize the building of new wind farms and have consequently ended up saddling Ontario with the most expensive electricity in Canada, with rates set to climb another 40% on top of that. Factories are dropping like flies in Ontario because of the utility rates alone. Forget unions. electricity is the new job killer.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle17560172/

BlackCrayon 04-15-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PR_Glen (Post 20051097)
nobody said anything about the business model, we are talking aesthetics and use here. They aren't cost effective yet, nobody would argue against that.

expensive, definitely. Eyesore? Compared to what? a tree? we are talking about a power source here not a painting, compare it to power lines and tell me again how much of an 'eyesore' they are. Low frequency noise is pure hokum. My friend has a giant dog kennel not even 100 yards from theirs that was put in a few months ago and the dogs don't even notice it, if they can't hear it or be irritated by it its not even possible for people to hear or 'experience' it--not a chance.

a tree? these things are as tall as skyscrapers. the tallest ones are 558 feet high...

here is a site to peruse http://www.windontario.ca/

MrBottomTooth 04-15-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ********** (Post 20051042)

The costs may be high and the benefits may be limited initially, but it is a huge step in the right direction. Give it time, and let the technology evolve.

Ya, in the mean time we lose all our manufacturing jobs. Do you realize what a burden 40% + increase in electricity costs is to industry? Nevermind the old grandma trying to pay her utility bills on a fixed pension.

MrBottomTooth 04-15-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Low frequency noise is pure hokum. My friend has a giant dog kennel not even 100 yards from theirs that was put in a few months ago and the dogs don't even notice it, if they can't hear it or be irritated by it its not even possible for people to hear or 'experience' it--not a chance.

Dogs are more sensitive to high frequency and are actually limited compared to humans in what they can sense in low frequency, hearing nothing below 40 hz to 60 hz. Humans can hear to 20 hz.

slapass 04-15-2014 02:16 PM

It is not sustainable. The wind is not constant or during regular hours. So if you have 100% wind you still need 100% something else as a backup. All that extra infrastructure and investment just as back up. Yep, not going to work so lets bark up a different tree.

Paul 04-15-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

You're splitting hairs here :)

There are better alternatives, that was my point :2 cents:

SilentKnight 04-15-2014 03:28 PM

One of my favorite campgrounds on the north shore of Lake Erie is literally surrounded by them in every direction.

A real blight on the landscape.

Even the old Loyalist family farmstead built by my great-great grandfather has one.

Scott McD 04-16-2014 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PR_Glen (Post 20051079)

Maybe so, but we don't have that problem here. People come from all over the globe to see our views...

(And the Loch Ness Monster)

ottopottomouse 04-16-2014 03:22 AM

There is a lot of them out in the sea here. Even there they are often not spinning.

wehateporn 04-16-2014 03:58 AM

There is a simple solution to such problems, just evacuate the country, whereas with the windmills they are damn annoying :2 cents:

Quote:

2MuchMark 04-16-2014 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebelR (Post 20051063)

No this isn't how it works. Excess power cannot overload the grid. It is excess drain that causes problems. Adding wind power to the grid means there is more energy available to support peak usage times, reducing the possibility of blackouts or brownouts. Any extra energy can be sold or even stored.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottopottomouse (Post 20051622)
There is a lot of them out in the sea here. Even there they are often not spinning.

Sea based windmills are a good idea. They can be made larger to capture more wind energy. Like all windmills they will spin when there's wind to capture and stop when there's no wind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentKnight (Post 20051189)
One of my favorite campgrounds on the north shore of Lake Erie is literally surrounded by them in every direction.

A real blight on the landscape.

Even the old Loyalist family farmstead built by my great-great grandfather has one.

Ok, but isn't it nicer to have clean non polluting windmills than dirty, leaky oil drills (and the associated trucks and other transport driving through your family's property to unload the oil every day?

2MuchMark 04-16-2014 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slapass (Post 20051117)
It is not sustainable. The wind is not constant or during regular hours. So if you have 100% wind you still need 100% something else as a backup. All that extra infrastructure and investment just as back up. Yep, not going to work so lets bark up a different tree.

Wow, come on...

A single small wind farm's energy output may be variable sure, but the more windmills and the more win farms you have, the more redundancy you have, and the more energy you have too. Wind farms at this stage are designed to supplement existing energy sources such as hydro, and do so while creating the smallest environmental impact.

It surprises me to no end that people on GFY who invest in high speed computers, who demand reliable hosting, and expect high tech software from billers, webcam, cms and other providers, who love high tech gadgets like smartphones and 4K TV's, are so ass-backwards when it comes to energy. You would think that the Internet generation would be pushing hard for high tech solutions for clean / renewable energy instead of happily accepting oil as the only source.

blackmonsters 04-16-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

:1orglaugh:1orglaugh

romeo22 04-16-2014 08:48 AM

It looks to green like it

John-ACWM 04-16-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

:thumbsup

MrBottomTooth 04-16-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ********** (Post 20051769)
No this isn't how it works. Excess power cannot overload the grid. It is excess drain that causes problems. Adding wind power to the grid means there is more energy available to support peak usage times, reducing the possibility of blackouts or brownouts. Any extra energy can be sold or even stored.

You're so clueless it's making my head spin like a wind turbine. They cannot store the excess power. They have to get rid of it. And if they can't sell it at a loss for a ridiculous price of around 2.5 cents per kw, they literally have to pay the US or other provinces to take it from them.

In fact, they have started paying wind turbine owners to NOT produce energy at certain times. I wish I could find a job like that. Pay me to sit at home and do nothing.

And it's not just Ontario getting hit by this due to the incompetence of Wynne and McGuinty. They are also experiencing the same thing in other areas, which I guess should make us feel a little better.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...ectricity.html