GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum

GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum (https://gfy.com/index.php)
-   Fucking Around & Business Discussion (https://gfy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Wordpress: Google Translate effect on SEO? (https://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1062427)

st0ned 03-26-2012 12:01 PM

Wordpress: Google Translate effect on SEO?

I have debated installing the Wordpress Google Translate plugin on a few of my blogs which get a large amount of foreign traffic.

These are very well established blogs which are aged 5+ years.

My question is, will installing the Google translate plugin have any negative effect on my search engine rankings?

I assume that it will increase my SE traffic from other countries as Google will index the site in the other languages as well.

Read around a bit but couldn't seem to find any solid information on this.

So have any of you installed this plugin on an established blog(s) and seen positive effect? Negative effects?

Any input would be appreciated. :thumbsup

fris 03-26-2012 12:05 PM

never installed it myself no, ive used wpml though but you have to put the translate strings in yourself.

Colmike9 03-26-2012 12:08 PM

I'm not sure about that one specifically and have heard bad things about it, but you want a translation widget that creates and caches the translated data on load instead of changing anything in the index if you don't want negative SEO. Some translation widgets can cause crawl errors, duplicate content/pages, and/or bigger load and file size on your server.

Hope this helps

harvey 03-26-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st0ned (Post 18845551)
I have debated installing the Wordpress Google Translate plugin on a few of my blogs which get a large amount of foreign traffic.

These are very well established blogs which are aged 5+ years.

My question is, will installing the Google translate plugin have any negative effect on my search engine rankings?

I assume that it will increase my SE traffic from other countries as Google will index the site in the other languages as well.

Read around a bit but couldn't seem to find any solid information on this.

So have any of you installed this plugin on an established blog(s) and seen positive effect? Negative effects?

Any input would be appreciated. :thumbsup

it doesn't even work, like all the plugins based on Google translate services since Google took down the API. There's a translation plugin based in Bing that still works, only that it doesn't do automatic translations, but you have to request it (which is better for SEO). Don't remember the name though

RazorSharpe 03-26-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fris (Post 18845562)
never installed it myself no, ive used wpml though but you have to put the translate strings in yourself.

That looks an excellent plugin, thanks for sharing. Seems to be by the same guys who do the "types" and "views" plugin, both of which are also excellent.

fris 03-26-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorSharpe (Post 18845618)
That looks an excellent plugin, thanks for sharing. Seems to be by the same guys who do the "types" and "views" plugin, both of which are also excellent.

yep bought both of them.

EddyTheDog 03-26-2012 02:33 PM

You can push feeds through Yahoo Pipes translate module - It spits out a translated RSS, JSon or PHP array ready to import into WP in the usual way.

papill0n 03-26-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 18845605)
it doesn't even work, like all the plugins based on Google translate services since Google took down the API. There's a translation plugin based in Bing that still works, only that it doesn't do automatic translations, but you have to request it (which is better for SEO). Don't remember the name though

doesnt work hey ?

thats funny because I have it installed on multiple domains and it works perfectly

noob

harvey 03-26-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papill0n (Post 18845932)
doesnt work hey ?

thats funny because I have it installed on multiple domains and it works perfectly

noob

I might be wrong, but I tested it last week and didn't work.

Also just taking a look at http://wordpress.org/tags/gtrans?forum_id=10 shows that all posts are about the plugin not working and people complaining they were scammed. Maybe the only version that works is the paid one. who knows

harvey 03-26-2012 07:30 PM

ok, I installed it again and now it works, even the free version

VenzuelanChick 03-26-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 18846377)

Yeah, I use it in a lot of my personal sites and it works pretty well. Maybe you just got unlucky last time :winkwink:

st0ned 03-27-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fris (Post 18845562)

Thanks for the idea. :thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colmike7 (Post 18845572)
I'm not sure about that one specifically and have heard bad things about it, but you want a translation widget that creates and caches the translated data on load instead of changing anything in the index if you don't want negative SEO. Some translation widgets can cause crawl errors, duplicate content/pages, and/or bigger load and file size on your server.

Hope this helps

It does help, thanks. Any suggestions on an existing plugin which has those features?

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 18845605)

The Bing route does seem like it would be less spammy. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddyTheDog (Post 18845903)
You can push feeds through Yahoo Pipes translate module - It spits out a translated RSS, JSon or PHP array ready to import into WP in the usual way.

Good idea as well, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 18846377)

Awesome. :thumbsup

My question still remains though, has anyone successfully done this? What effects whether positive or negative did you see?

st0ned 03-29-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st0ned (Post 18847385)
My question still remains though, has anyone successfully done this? What effects whether positive or negative did you see?

Bump. :thumbsup

st0ned 04-17-2012 09:13 AM

Another bump. Has anyone done this with an established site? If so what were the results?

Arnox 04-17-2012 09:25 AM

Test and see. Be a shepherd, not a sheep.

But seriously, do you think Google's going to suddenly turn around to your so-called established websites and say "fuck you, no more traffic" when you install a compatibility plugin?

Use your noggin, governor.