View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 09:08 PM  
2MuchMark
Videochat Solutions

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nr4d View Post
Now that you mention it, it's entirely possible that cpanel is friendlier to a "normal" user but I've gotta say... for me personally it's virtualmin or nothing. I can't stand cpanel, plesk, directadmin. All are shit compared to virtualmin/webmin. If I'm to use cpanel i'd rather sit and edit configuration files manually via SSH.
Even though cPanel lets you do alot of stuff, I prefer installing whatever I need via SSH. It's just cooler somehow, and I love watching it scroll at lightning speeds during some install. Me=nerd.

And yes, that is a good point. cPanel is very friendly. I don't host anything, but I support alot of clients who host their own stuff on various hosting providers. After I show them they can do alot of their own stuff like create email and FTP accounts, issue their own free SSL certificates, add new domains, Install Wordpress, even debug some stuff, they are alot happier, and my support calls go down. Everybody happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nr4d View Post
I'll chime in here about hosting as well, as we send alot of customers to hosts. If a customer requires managed hosting, we send them to Mojohost. The support is great, we have a special conduit for contact if we need something done on a customers server, and most importantly - they are very familiar with the adult industry and thus the scripts in it used by website owners. This is where we send almost all customers.

If someone doesn't need managed hosting and can sort out their own backups, or they are on a low budget and just need server setup once without regular management - we send them to leaseweb, ovh, or soyoustart (also OVH but older hardware), or contabo if a VPS will cut it.

If someone is doing something that requires exceptionally high security like a cryptocurrency exchange, or it's an application that would requires cloud storage but where the use of a block storage instead of object storage would be advantageous - we send them to reflected.net. This isn't to say that Mojohost isn't secure - it absolutely is and we've never seen any problems in that regard - but reflected's default server configurations are heavily restricted as far as what can be executed on them.
Cool. I refer my adult clients to TMD, but all of my mainstream clients are on Linode, Microsoft Azure or Amazon AWS. I use to love AWS, but lately I am appreciating Azure more and more. My favourite is still Linode though, especially since they just gave me a $300.00 credit!

The only thing I would tell people to be really careful of is getting a VM with some vGPU's if they want to play with AI or Machine Learning. It can end up costing alot of money if they aren't careful. It is better to upgrade your own home PC with a GPU and run LLM's locally than to do it in the cloud...

VideoChat Solutions | Custom Software | IT Support
https://www.2much.net | https://www.lcntech.com
2MuchMark is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote