View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 PM  
HairyChick
Slowly dying

Industry Role:
NWA pioneered true hip hop. Their lyrics are the truth when the media ignored harassment of blacks. Rodney King showed the truth but NWA gave it to you in words.

To this day, when I say I love them, I get the “white Jewish lady likes that ni**er trash talk” looks. Then I calmly explain that music has no color. Black people liked Barry Manilow, white people liked Kurtis Blow (Google is your friend), Asians liked Dolly Parton, etc.

Rap and hip hop told a story. It wasn’t always about hos and ni**as and badass guns. It was a hard look at life in the hood, in Compton, the Bronx and beyond. If you want cutesy rap, Will Smith and DJ whatever is for you. It’s kindergarten rap; I prefer grad school rap.

Beastie Boys “fight for your right to party” is imitation hip hop (though for three white guys they weren’t bad).

I know most won’t agree but that’s my opinion.
HairyChick is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote