View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 03:22 PM  
kane
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard View Post
They've been saying humans will not be needed for decades now.... Instead, what happened is entire new industries have been created - programmers, coders, web designers, graphic designers, IT people, computer sales people, people to design marketing campaigns.... The more things change the more they stay the same.
Look at it like this.

When I was a kid in the 80's I always heard about computers taking everyone's job. We were kind of correct in that they took some jobs, but, as you say, created many more. This is because, at their core, computers weren't made to eliminate us, they were made to enhance what we can do and make us better.

Automation is not that. Robots are designed to remove us from the equation. Sure, some industries will be created and new jobs will be created but almost all of them will take some pretty intense schooling or training.

In the past, a person might have worked in a warehouse for Sears, and now works in a warehouse for Amazon, but soon almost no humans will be needed in any warehouse. Humans won't be needed to make food, build homes, drive people or things around, build things, stock shelves etc. I just can't see this industry creating enough new jobs to replace the millions of jobs they will end.

In short. Computers = help us be better and more efficient. Robots = remove as many of us from the equation as possible.
kane is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote