View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 PM  
Robbie
Leaner, Meaner, Faster

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna mo View Post
must be a failure to communicate because you clearly claim that the FBI is only a few decades old.
It is. It wasn't even called the FBI until 1935. And it definitely wasn't doing background checks on Supreme Court Justices in any of those early years.

They only had a total of 34 agents in 1908, and they were "special agents of the Justice Dept.". It wasn't until J. Edgar Hoover racheted it up in the 1940's that it became much of anything.

And yeah. I'd say that 11 decades is a "few decades old" if you count the time that the agency was first started.

Anyway...sounds like you just want to argue for arguments sake for some reason.

My whole point was that "No"...the Constitution does NOT "task" the FBI with doing investigations into the Supreme Court nominees. It doesn't even "task" them with doing background checks...because there was no FBI in existence, and yet the Supreme Court somehow was filled for the majority of the country's life span (first Supreme Court was in 1789)

So the FBI has been around for 110 years. Only did background checks in recent times on Govt. employees (and please don't parse "recent" as meaning in the last couple of years...I'm speaking in relative terms).

But even if they came out of the gate in 1908 doing background checks (they didn't)...
That would be 119 years of Supreme Courts with NO FBI doing background checks. As opposed to the FBI only existing in any form at all for 110 years.

THAT was my point.

They have only done ONE INVESTIGATION of a Supreme Court nominee in history. And that was the Anita Hill accusations toward Clarence Thomas.
And her accusations were stating that he did things in a govt. office as govt. employees.

In THREE days they cleared it.

This situation is not even close to being anything like that at all.

And as I said already...Kavanaugh has had SIX FBI background checks done on him already.
Nothing ever came of them.

So again... a big fat "NO" to your statement that it is "standard protocol" to INVESTIGATE Supreme Court nominees.

You may have misspoken and meant BACKGROUND CHECKS...in which case I would say again...he's had SIX of them done already.

And hell no...it's not the FBI's job to investigate teenagers getting drunk and fucking around 36 years ago.
They have actual important things to do at the FBI (like framing the President). lol