View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 07:21 PM  
HairyChick
Slowly dying

Industry Role:
Weekend news said we were in the direct path. Today they said just some rain and wind. I’ve lived through three hurricanes, one when I was at my folk’s house on Martha’s Vineyard. We came back becuse school started the next day. I still remember being locked in downstairs with my dog while parents were strapped in on the flying bridge. Ten foot waves against a fifty-foot boat. I grabbed my dog and laid on the couch, shaking and crying. Could have been worse but we were in someone’s wake. We’d have left earlier but it turned east and no warning but “ get out” from an island cop.

You can stock up if you have the space. We had no power for a week during one storm. Before computers, tv was entertaining or radio. No power? Nothing to do. No ice, warm soda, coffee but no milk.

Generator at home as dad was on oxygen and c-pap machine. I was in New Hampshire and invited my parents but they wanted to stay. Mom hated the generator due to the gas.

It’s easy to say “stock up” but there are things you can’t live without and buying more may be too costly. Some people may have no money for a motel or no vehicle to leave in. Or no money for water though one gallon a week from November to August won’t kill anyone. Landlords in rentals may be absent and tenants may be elderly and can’t put up plywood.

I’m not sure if this weakening hurricane will land here. Mom is home, recovering from major surgery, and physically can’t go down stairs and needs medication to live right now. I’m useless to help and am half-a-mile closer to a beach than she is. I’d be safer there but can’t get in. My fingers are crossed that it bypasses me and is just a small storm.

If it hits us on Yom Kippur, oy vey!
HairyChick is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote