View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 03:38 AM  
NewNick
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
The guy makes some good points but he also points out something that happens more often than not. The factory pays workers $2 a day. If we force them to pay $4 a day they close down and move the factory somewhere else where they can pay less and now those workers are making $0 a day. However, many companies do this no matter why wages go up. For example, there are situations involving Nike where workers at one of their factories wanted to unionize so they shut the factory down. In short, when we get to that "ratchet up" part he talks about and wages do increase, the companies move to the next country where they can pay less.

I'm not bashing capitalism, I'm just saying to argue that sweatshops are a good thing gives me a queasy feeling. The main reason companies hire sweatshops is because they are cheap, once they stop being so, the companies move on. Maybe some people are helped out and do have better lives, but many end up just being exploited.
You can make the same argument for globalisation.

It always amuses me when the dullards witter about "Globalisation" being some great evil. "Soros and the evil globalists".

The undeniable truth is that globalisation brought billions of Asians out of poverty and malnutrition. In return the West enjoys a fabulous standard of living.

Asia was as poor as Africa 50 years ago. Now capitalism and globalisation has created tiger economies.

Churchill said that Democracy is the least worst political system, Capitalism and globalisation is the least worst of the socio-economic systems. It is not perfect, but it is the best of available options. Bashing it is silly, working to improve it and iron out the imperfections is the only sensible option.