View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 05:21 PM  
kane
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by $5 submissions View Post
I don't agree with child labor but as for 'sweatshops'... see video

The guy makes some good points but he also points out something that happens more often than not. The factory pays workers $2 a day. If we force them to pay $4 a day they close down and move the factory somewhere else where they can pay less and now those workers are making $0 a day. However, many companies do this no matter why wages go up. For example, there are situations involving Nike where workers at one of their factories wanted to unionize so they shut the factory down. In short, when we get to that "ratchet up" part he talks about and wages do increase, the companies move to the next country where they can pay less.

I'm not bashing capitalism, I'm just saying to argue that sweatshops are a good thing gives me a queasy feeling. The main reason companies hire sweatshops is because they are cheap, once they stop being so, the companies move on. Maybe some people are helped out and do have better lives, but many end up just being exploited.
kane is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote