View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 07:03 PM  
HairyChick
Slowly dying

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard View Post
I had a 1989 Chevy Stepside a few years ago. I had a new stereo installed, and other then AC and power windows that was about it. It had the bench seating which made family outings to much more fun.

My ‘69 GTO was being redone when I became ill. I never saw it. It was shipped from California to the garage. It arrived Memorial Day weekend and I was hospitalized beginning June 8 but apparently had been sick for a week. $15k to restore and I never saw before or after. I’d contracted to buy an old Ford truck, ‘55 or ‘56, just $6k and $4k to restore. Bank check was sitting on my desk but illness intervened. I looked for three years for a truck from California

Bench seats, AM radio, wipers and heat and not much else. No rust which is hard to find in New England, hence California.

I like the modern touches but prefer the authenticity. I got used to the older trannies, err transmissions, non-disc brakes, hand-crank windows, adding fluids and wheels you had to turn that weren’t power steering.

Gas station guys would ask if it was my husband’s car or boyfriend. I tell them it was mine and they’d look stumped. “Setting a carburetor or changing the timing isn’t hard” I’d say. They’d look at this older, chubby chick with nice fingernails and some asked questions. Others just stared. I’d remind them that gloves cover nails, over thirty doesn’t mean too old for cars, women can be as smart if not smarter than men and no, I’m not a lesbian!

I learned by watching and asking. I came to appreciate the classic cars and trucks for their simplicity and unique looks.

I’d love to invent a device that stops thieves but doesn’t involve changing a classic in any way. No screws, tape, bolts, drilling but something inside the engine itself, or carburetor or fan belt drive. Magnetic and very loud, sends a signal to cellphones as it checks for motion detection. That way a truck going by or strong breeze won’t need the police.

For modern vehicles, a hidden camera transmits motion around vehicle to your cellphone. You could type a code to lock the hood and ignition while police are called. Pictures of the thwarted thief are saved. Lofty goals, I know, but someday you can get that. Technology can’t be stopped.

Self-driving cars were a dream forty years ago. No one imagined it could happen.
HairyChick is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote