View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 11:30 AM  
k0nr4d
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR_Glen View Post
the peace treaties in Paris where what? over 70 years ago? That settled those matters for the most part, everyone had a chance to make appeals for specific reparations at the time and did so then. Claiming anything now, this far removed is fuckin embarrassingly desperate. I can't see anything like this being treated seriously by anyone who matters.
Poland at the time of the agreement had a puppet government installed by the soviets. Many (non-polish) legal experts believe that the claim against Germany is valid. I don't expect them to actually pay it (would be of course nice economic boost if they did) but I think it is more of a bargaining chip then anything.

As for claims about something that happened 70 years ago, Jews still make land claims against Poland to this day. Warsaw was literally rubble from bombing, the country took position of the land and sold it. Buildings/malls/etc were built or rebuilt. People fly in from Israel claiming that their great grandfather owned some land, and demand to have it returned. Even if the claim is true (which in many cases it is not) - the land which was empty or contained rubble from bombing is now developed with a skyscraper worth 100mil euros on it. Most people from the US I mention to seem to think it's fine despite Poland having paid money to the USA after WW2 for which the US agreed to settle all Jewish land claims with.
k0nr4d is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote