View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 11:04 AM  
dyna mo
The People's Post

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchMark View Post
Holy Cow! It's interesting how people see different things, or see things differently. I am completely fascinated by this video. I keep re watching it and every time I notice something new.

What made me pay more attention to it was the white horse at 2:36. That made me thing that shit... why would the director put that there?

And then it hit me just like that. The bible describes a white horse ridden by death. Ah ha! Clever symbolism. I forgot the quote but its something like "And hell rides with him". So I decided to watch the video a few more times...

..and I noticed that the director of this video seemed to "layer" the action. Gambino is up front, while the kids are dancing and smiling behind him, while all hell is breaking lose behind them. Why do it like this? Is the suggestion that people ignoring the violence (or turning their backs, or ignoring it) and dancing anyway? Or are people adapting to the violence and dancing anyway? It's a weird detail.

The first victim is shot like he's nothing at 0:52, then the gun used is placed gently in a red cloth at 0:55. It looks like the gun has more value than human lives. (WOW!). The victim is then dragged away at 0:58. Are guns treated better than victims? (Double-wow!)

I also notice that the victim starts of first with his face visible, playing the guitar. When you see him get shot, the guitar is gone and his head is covered in a cloth. Is this to dehumanize him? To take away what makes him a person? Is that how all victims are treated?

At 2:28 the camera pans by a few people on their cellphones recording everything, but their faces are hidden with masks. Are they supposed to be... us? Are we just watching this stuff, recording and posting on facebook for likes? And not doing anything to stop it?

Finally, Gambino's facial expressions are interesting. I don't know why but it reminds me of how black people used to be portrayed in old movies. He had to be doing that on purpose because the whole video is perfectly timed and staged, and his facial expressions have to be a part of the detailed plan for the video. His dancing reminds me of something really old too but I can't place it.

Ok maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think they spent alot of time planning this video out.
I agree that's there's much symbolism, but what for? To point out violence in our culture? That's done and been done. and is still done, overly. I know Donald Glover is creative, and I respect that effort, but he seems derivative to me. this song, his deadpool stuff, etc. all derivative and relying on violence.

For cool and innovative [non-violent] videos and music, I'm digging Grimes, very original.

dyna mo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote