View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 AM  
VRPdommy
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
It is not feasible to directly power a car with solar panels. I think that's where your question was.
But you can watch that develop with the races across Australia. Look those up online. You just can't develop enough current in the space of a normal car to power the weight. So those racers are very light and the track is completely flat. Those kind of races have helped pioneer some of the best concepts going forward.

I use a solar array to change large battery banks, where I can then charge the EV.
Started off with a Lawn mower, then a rider. Now much bigger things.
The problem with my method is that every time you have a conversion of electric, you loose more than 10% in the conversion. But my method is flexible to need.

Right now, it is the lobbies of energy company's like First Energy and AEP that are creating havoc for the solar industry. Not Big oil. They had their play's in the 50's & 60's in automotive generally, but not relevant to the solar industry now. Coal has not seen the need to fight it since a EV would need more of it's product. Natural gas has killed coal recently, not the EPA. It's a matter of cost. It's a shame that after lobbying for the rules they wanted in the big de-regulation and pretty much got everything they wanted, they did not see the threats coming on their flank which was cheap and plentiful natural gas.
The irony is, it is their biz to know such things so I don't think these guys are very good at what they do. Except buying politicians.

Yes to them and many others, the concept of building a batter mouse trap is just a conspiracy that must be stopped. They buy-out or lobby rules against their competitors.

The future probably really holds best for a EV that is plug-in charge compatible and also contains a fuel cell, converting methane (nat gas) or hydrogen directly into electric.
Limited batteries and a fuel cell seems the best combo going forward.
If you could have a easy change-up on the batteries, that would change things by far in the short term. They are heavy and expensive and a fire hazard as it stands.

Elon Musk is making a lot of headway in full conceptual systems. Home solar utilizing Li-Ion battery that could sell back electric at peak demand times or hold until needed at home. Or in any combination. In a network of homes connected this way makes most sense for everyone. Because as a group, your total reserve battery power is worth more to a supplier that has to go to the market and buy peak demand energy.

While the energy co's continue to play their games, they really can't stop this now... only slow it's progress. I'm going to have no sympathy for them for the over 25 years of torture they have put me through.

There is probably enough wind energy out in lake Erie, if utilized, could power 2 or more states. They have known it was there for 15 years now. It is very high yield wind, but most current turbines can't really handle it. Would be nice to see a tax break to develop that. Not many know or realize the potential there so the info has been surpressed by the energy co's. If there was a outcry for it, the energy lobby would support groups that would call it ascetically deplorable.
The only way to win this battle is through public education.
VRPdommy is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote