View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 09:49 PM  
VRPdommy
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
First, why would a cable co want the net neutrality rules removed if they were going to voluntarily comply with them anyway. ...Hmmmm...

With all due respect to everyone here, @Bladewire post is the only post here that goes to the heart of the matter. Many here have been reading or repeating bad info on the subject and I suggest you really learn about this because for most of you, it is going to have profound effects and implications down the road.
This is not about right now, it is about the future. That is how they are buffaloing you.
ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY MORE TO STREAM TO YOUR CUSTOMERS IN A WAY THEY CAN ACTUALLY WATCH THE NEXT VIDEO FORMAT ?
It is not a move to increase your rates. It is a move to have control of the internet.
So while some say they do not want the government to have control, you will be giving that same control to someone else. I guess it is a matter of who you trust.
The cable co's have never shown any reason for that trust.

Cable TV is loosing customers because of the near monopoly and the fact we must 'SUBSIDIZE' channels we do not want (and make additional profits for cable).
Where are those on the right who do not like subsidies standing up on this issue ?
They like to scream about this stuff and I have never herd one cry about subsidies for cable. They even used a defense of Disney channel that nobody would buy if we did not include it in a package. It's not like the tech has not been in place to serve you just the channels you want for the last 6 years in the US.

So they loose their biz to the only competitors they have like NetFlix Hulu and Prime.
Because the cable co's bought all of the movie houses up and own all of the content. or were you all paying attention to all of those mergers and acquisitions the last 10 years ?
Sometimes you can price yourself out of the market. I'm not willing to give them any free pass because of their previous terrible behavior.

They have little to no competition on internet delivery. Most areas in the US would be lucky if they have more than 2 choices. Being 1 telco and one cable.
When and if I have 4 or more providers that can get me 50mbs, my opinion would be a bit different. But if we had that, there would be more merger or acquisition till there was 1 or two.

So remember it is about control of the internet. While I do not trust the government all that much, I trust the alternative much less.
VRPdommy is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote