View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 AM  
sarettah
l8r

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperbonzo View Post
This will allow absolute competition which the current system does not.
And just how is having Internet Access defined as a Telecommunications service under Title II stop the system from having competition.

I am seeing the argument thrown around by proponents of repeal but not seeing any actual arguments showing that title ii is having any such effect.

The fact of the matter is that Internet Access IS a telecommunications service, it is NOT an information service as defined under title i.

Most providers nowadays offer both internet access (connection) and information services (email, portals, etc) so the lines can appear to be blurred somewhat but if you look closely the lines are actually quite clear.

Title II regulation did not stop Google from jumping into the broadband market. The fear of regulations did not stop competition and I know for a fact that here in Kansas City Google's entry into the broadband market spurred other providers to improve their broadband offerings. Title II did nothing to interfere in any way and as a result I now have Time Warner's fastest offering at the same price that I was getting what is now their slowest offering before Google gave them a reason to change. So, where is the competition being stifled ? It is not being stifled by the fact that it is regulated under Title II.

Removing Title II regulations from Internet Access will only give a way for the ISPs to screw the consumer over and will do nothing to increase investment or competition.

sarettah is online now   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote