View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM  
CaptainHowdy
Too lazy to set a custom title

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutocracy View Post
Neil Young nearly got a record deal for Charles Manson.

Young met the notorious Charles Manson in 1968 at the home of Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson.

In his memoir Neil recalls:

?A guy showed up, picked up my guitar, and started playing a lot of songs on it. His name was Charlie. He was a friend of the girls and now of Dennis. His songs were off-the-cuff things he made up as he went along, and they were never the same twice in a row. Kind of like Dylan, but different because it was hard to glimpse a true message in them, but the songs were fascinating. He was quite good.?

Manson?s music impressed Neil so much that Young put in a good word with a record label for him.

?I asked him if he had a recording contract. He told me he didn?t yet, but he wanted to make records. I told Mo Ostin at Reprise about him, and recommended that Reprise check him out?. Shortly afterward, the Sharon Tate-La Bianca murders happened, and Charlie Manson?s name was known around the world.?
Neil is the man ...