View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 AM  
DukeSkywalker
The Boogeyman

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincats View Post
When I was around 17 I was travelling to Daytona beach for spring break. This was like 1988. Damn, that place was crazy back then. And me and some friends (all around the same age going to spend a week there was no big deal back then).

Anyway we stopped at a small Mom and Pop store to pick up some soda, chips, etc. From the moment we walked in the shop owner was staring at us, even following us around and watching everything we did.

I ended up not buying anything, but my friends did. As I tried to leave the store owner stood in front of the door and told us all to empty our pockets. He even pulled a knife to show us he was serious. He was convinced that we stole something (especially me).

We all acted respectful, calling him sir and showing him that we did not steal anything. I was thinking that we are a bunch of punkass teenagers and he has probably been ripped-off before by people just like us and that's why his reaction was a bit extreme. We all thought that.

So we ended the scene peacefully, even shaking his hand.

He was white and we were white.

Now what if we were black and had been conditioned by mainstream media that the ONLY reason we were being singled out was because of our skin color? How would we have reacted? I can imagine the scene would have been pretty bad.

Imagine how limited your success in life would be if you thought that every time someone said no to you, denied you a job, police stopped you, etc. was because of your skin color. Would you fight back (even if your premise was completely wrong), or would you just give up on life? I mean what's the point of even trying if your race is going to stop you from ever succeeding?

That's the true racism that exists today. The BS propaganda of fascist liberals that want to make minorities think that they are being targeted because of their race.

Most of us work online, and I would bet that there is not a person on here that gives a flying fuck what color/gender someone is that they work with. If they can do the job and help make your project money that's all that matters.
You are absolutley right. The same thing happened to me. But your last paragraph, spot on. I've hired women, blacks, latinos and sometimes you wouldn't even know it until the circle bar. Race is completely irrelevant in webmastering and developing/designing and editing sites.
I am he who causes Falcons to soar due south but no winds caused me.
I am he who has eyes, but not to see.
I am the ring wearer and apron wearer
I am he that carries a pointed staff and raises his fellows with certain grips and words
I am he that knows my brethren in the darkness as well as in the light

Mechanic / Fixer. Literally and figuratively
DukeSkywalker is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote