View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 12:17 PM  
Barry-xlovecam
It's 42

Industry Role:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_virginiana

The birds delivered seeds from my neighbor's tree that grew in one season into 8" tall seedlings of his eastern red cedar. I was trying to figure out where to transplant them to -- verified the leaf (evergreen) then Google'd that species -- these are basically 'junk trees' read the link.

Quote:
Trees are destructive to grasslands if left unchecked, and are actively being eliminated by cutting and prescribed burning.[14] The trees also burn very readily, and dense populations were blamed for the rapid spread of wildfires in drought stricken Oklahoma and Texas in 2005 and 2006.[15]

Eastern juniper benefits from increased CO2 levels, unlike the grasses with which it competes. Many grasses are C4 plants that concentrate CO2 levels in their bundle sheaths to increase the efficiency of RuBisCO, the enzyme responsible for photosynthesis, while junipers are C3 plants that rely on (and may benefit from) the natural CO2 concentrations of the environment, although they are less efficient at fixing CO2 in general.[16]
No wonder it is growing so fast -- it's eating the CO2 in the air for energy.

You want it? I have cut down trees here so I can get some sun ... Maybe, I can trim the tops so it becomes a 2.5 meter tall hedge ...
Barry-xlovecam is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote