View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 PM  
MrMaxwell
Too lazy to set a custom title

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquealer View Post
Procedural memory is not related to the hippocampus. You are talking about automated, learned skills which are performed automatically. The brain is not a computer which stores and recalls information. That's similar to saying "he can't remember what he reads at all but he can ride a bike".

Besides, the question in such examples is not "what was destroyed", the question is "how and where did the brain compensate"

Further, your brain is highly "plastic" or adaptable. Meaning that when a lesion impairs some pathway, yet you persist in training the affected task/skill etc, your brain will figure out how to compensate for the impairment. A child (generally under the age of 6) can have 1/2 the hemisphere of their brain removed and develop full brain function to the extent that there are no outward signs of impairment. A simple example of this is the fact that autopsies show people with advanced Alzheimers all the time, yet they never showed a single symptom because they kept forcing their brain to work and find new pathways to accomplish a task... vs laying down and dying (teachers, scientists or whatever - people who place a high cognitive load on their brain daily). This is extremely common and never talked about except within science.

and this is where the trouble begins.... what is "mind", what is a "strong mind"?
Wow.. you do actually know a lot more about this than I do
What I meant about wearing is that I've seen films where it looks as if his hippocampus may be functioning as he's playing music

Neural plasticity IS amazing and I have read that many wizzled old bastads can come out of being all inane and addled by forcing their brain to do simple math and things before

We don't know what mind or consciousness means or is really so you make another good point
You are not as ridiculous as I thought that you were
MrMaxwell is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote