View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 01:24 PM  
kane
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua G View Post
good question. why do liberals always seek jobs in the public sector & the law & the schools & TV? why dont they become cops or soldiers or construction workers or auto mechanics or pole workers? things that keep our country running along?

its a matter of values & what people prefer to commit their energy to. ironic the country needs millions of social justice activists when jim crow ended 50 years ago, & there is a shortage of doctors. but whatever.

but you cannot deny the reality that the failing schools & failing parents are primary due to liberal values not GOP values yes? you may be the only liberal honest enough to admit it.

I forgot to discuss the failing school system. The public school system is in trouble. There are a lot of reasons for this. No Child Left Behind is a major part of this. Under No Child Left Behind, schools get paid based in part by how many students they graduate or promote. This means they have a financial interest in making sure kids move on. In theory, this means they teach them better and help them succeed. In reality, it means they just move them on no matter what. It is also badly flawed because it bases too much on standardized testing. We are no longer educating our kids and trying to give them a quality, well-rounded education. We are teaching them how to memorize facts and take tests.

Let's take my nephew as an example. When he was in 8th grade he failed every single class that year. He got straight F's and the school didn't hold him back. They said they only hold kids back if the parents want them to. His mom didn't so he moved on to high school and the grade school got paid as if he were just another success story. In high school, he failed half the classes he took then he was expelled at the beginning of his senior year. They allowed him to do a few packets of homework and graduate. So, my nephew, who can barely read or spell and who failed half his classes in high school before being expelled still has a high school diploma. When I was in high school in the 1980's that would have never happened. My brother failed two classes one year and he had to go to summer school to make one of them up or he wouldn't have been able to graduate.

There has been a sea change in society over the last 20 years. Parents now seem to be at war with the schools instead of working with them. Technology has changed how education works and many schools haven't adapted. Laws created by both political parties and created by people who have no knowledge of how education works are causing problems and many schools that are in lower income areas are barely surviving financially and have to cut back, lowering the quality of education these kids get.

So, if you ask me do I think the education system is failing, I say yes. However, I don't think you can place blame on one party or the other. Everyone has failed our kids.
kane is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote