View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 12:43 PM  
kane
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rupe View Post
Not really the major population centers would elect the President which involves a half dozen or so cities and I personally would not like that nor would almost all of the other people from about 45 or so states in the Union.
I'm sorry, but this simply is not the case. Let's do some math.

If a candidate were to somehow win every single vote in California, Florida, New York, and Texas that would come to around 36 million votes. Still somewhere between 25-30 million short of what it is going to take to win. More realistically, the major candidates would split these votes (although likely not down the middle). So say one candidate gets 20 million and the other 16. It still is going to take around 65 million to win. They are going to have to go out to those other states in order to get those votes.

Imagine how many conservatives in California or New York don't even bother voting for President because they know their candidate has no chance of winning that state. The same can be said for liberals in red states like Texas or Arizona. Those people's votes would now matter. A candidate would likely have to have a full country strategy in order to get enough votes to win.

Even with the Electoral College candidates ignore states or, even worse, they just go there for a fundraiser to collect money and then leave knowing they have no chance in that state so they are just taking the cash and running. In the current era the population is spread out enough and diverse enough that I think we no longer need the Electoral College.
kane is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote