View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 AM  
Barry-xlovecam
It's 42

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
"Support the grid"?
Barry, I am saying there should be no grid.

Everyone on renewable energy with their own solar and wind generation.

The grid is antiquated, technologically obsolete, and a huge vulnerability to our country.

Not sure why you are pro-utility company.
Not very liberal of you.
It's a matter of practicality.

If the grid was going to close in 2018 and you would have to buy your own power generating system you would bitch about paying for it -- even if you had the money. We all would. You never appreciate what you have until it is gone.

80% of people don't have the capital investment money to buy their own power generating system. 50% of the population would be living in the dark lighting fires to stay warm in the winter, many burning down their homes. In the summer desert they would be dropping like flies from heat stroke.

You just can't have you cake and eat it too ... You cannot have a dual infrastructure, it is too expensive when there are few stakeholders. That is like saying we need no national defense spending -- I own guns and will kill any invader -- that is ludicrous. Some things are for the common good. Unless you want a huge tax burden subsidizing the power grid for those that need it -- that is a bad alternative.

However, you can have a redundant infrastructure.

I do agree with the vulnerability issues. I am more worried about storm outages than the foreign government cyber attack or electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack, solar flare ... That is a doomsday scenario -- I am just not going to worry about that.
Barry-xlovecam is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote