View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 11:22 AM  
GFED
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elli View Post
Oh! I have a little book called Two Minute Mysteries. They are little murder mysteries much like these questions. Endless entertainment, but some are a bit tough to figure out.

Two-Minute Mysteries by Donald J. Sobol — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

The Case of the Green Pen

Except for the ambulance attendants, Sheriff Monahan, and Dr. Haledjian there was nobody at the Meadowbrook Bowling Lanes, the only alleys in town, except a young woman sprawled by the front door with a knife in her back.

"The lanes closed at midnight," said the sheriff. "One of my men discovered the body at 4 A.M., and I called you right away."

"Dead about an hour," said Haledjian. "Who was she?"

"Roberta Layne," replied the sheriff. "She just married Theodore Layne, a merchant captain, before he sailed for Hawaii last week. They have a little house on Bleaker Street."

"Any suspects?"

"Charlie Barnett - maybe. Roberta jilted him for Ted."

Haledjian dropped a green fountain pen by the door. "Let's pay Mr. Barnett a visit."

The suspect lived in a room behind the gasoline station he owned.

Haledjian's first words were, "Do you know Roberta has been murdered?"

"No!" gasped Barnett.

"Well, that's enough for now," said Haledjian.

Then, as if in afterthought, he added, "I must have dropped my fountain pen by the front door of the lanes where we found the body. I'm due in the city in an hour. Mind getting the pen for me and leaving it with the sheriff this morning?"

Barnett looked uncertain. He shrugged. "Sure."

Whe he brought the pen to the sheriff's office later that morning he was promptly arrested.

Why?
He doesn't need to know where the body is to find the pen. So even if he finds the pen, it doesn't mean he knows where the body was. Too much irrelevant such as the time, street, ambulance, gas station, etc. This one hurts my head just to read.

You got me.
GFED is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote