Robbie
Leaner, Meaner, Faster

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey View Post
yeah you keep it real. he was a great president no bs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 26z View Post
Reagan was very unpopular in his first couple years, but then had that tremendous reelection win.
He was ALWAYS unpopular with the media.

I was 18 years old when Reagan won in 1980. And all there was for "news" was CBS, ABC, NBC, and the brand new CNN.

And I lived in Miami and read The Miami Herald every day. I also had a subscription to Rolling Stone magazine.

Oh my God. They HATED Reagan.

He was called every name in the book. They accused him of being a doddering old man who was nothing more than a puppet being controlled by his cabinet.
He was going to get us into a nuclear war with Russia.
He was going to destroy the economy with "trickle down economics" (Reaganomics)

Hollywood wasn't as rough on him as they are on Trump. Probably because he was a Democrat all of his life AND was the President of the Screen Actors Guild at one point as well.
He was "one of theirs".

But the rock bands were merciless with him. Hell, Genesis even did a music video using a Reagan puppet as a "puppet" getting us into war.
Don Henley of the Eagles had a hit with a song he wrote called "The End Of The Innocence" with the lyric: "this tired old man that we elected king"

And the political writers in Rolling Stone magazine tore Reagan a new asshole every issue.

I was young and dumb and didn't question the media outlets at that point in my life.

I can remember worrying that all of my family was going to end up dead in nuclear war thanks to Reagan.
And from watching the news and reading the papers...I couldn't figure out why ANYBODY had voted for this madman.

I'm not kidding. I was really scared at that time.

Looking back now, I realize that the media and the Democrat Party were manipulating me. But boy I thought I was enlightened and so "liberal".

I was young and dumb.

But what I didn't know was that he WAS wildly popular with the PEOPLE.
Same sort of shit now with Trump. Just more nasty from the media and the DNC.