View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 01:26 AM  
Paul Markham
Too old to care

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppoten View Post
They are easily manipulated though. Leeds (where Jo Cox was murdered) voted remain, while most of the surrounding areas voted leave.

While I'm pleased with the result, I do wonder if many of the white working class actually know much about the EU. They simplified it down to immigration, because they know more about it than they do about the economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppoten View Post
No that's not what I meant. The young who voted remain because "peace love and unicorns" were no better informed.

My point is that a lot of people voted on gut instinct rather than information. But maybe that's the way things are going, and it's not necessarily a bad thing.
They voted on the facts. The facts of their life, past and future. Their living standards dropping, wages dropping or stagnant, jobs getting harder to find, decent jobs with a decent wage a dream for many, pressure on the NHS, Education, Social Services, Housing is a catastrophe and with all the great benefits of the EU. Their lives are getting worse.

This is the facts. Decent jobs are getting rarer as we move towards automation and export jobs to Eastern Europe and the Third World. Low skilled jobs are all that's left for many. And more low skilled people are arriving every day.

The EU tried to make the UK pay for the Euro fuck up. It wants the UK to take more migrants from the ME. It will be getting more from the EU as that migration crisis worsens.

As for the Young voting in. How many 18 to 25 years old will ever be able to buy their own home or be able to afford a to rent one without benefits? The rest will be handing over a huge chunk of their income to landlords.

They voted on "What has the EU done for US? Because it's crystal clear what it's done for the 5%.
Paul Markham is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote