View Single Post
Old 12-11-2015, 09:16 AM  
NALEM
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
He just received a C&D from Susan G. Komen saying if the event went on, they would sue him for damages. All because he used pink ribbons in the promotional material and on the fundraiser website.
Was he using the exact same pink ribbon design that belongs to Komen? If so they are in the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVTimes View Post
If I was you I would put that letter on your blog/facebook and say you have an event this weekend.

I would point out that you had threats to be sued.

Then I would contact the media.

Use it as an advantage.

I am sure the news would love a story like that.

Say you have spent x amount on ribbons you cannot use.

Point out its for charity.

It will give Susan G. Komen bad publicity.

And you good publicity.

However I would certainly publish this letter, and use it as publicity.

I presume Susan G. Komen is a charity. And would also presume that people giving money to Susan G. Komen would expect the money to be used to help people, rather than used to sue people.
Risky but nonetheless excellent advice. Use the C&D in your favor. Furthermore, your friend may consider making some small but important steps to minimize the damage from a potential lawsuit:

- replace the Komen ribbon online
- give credit to Komen on the website and in any printed material for using their ribbon before
- reprint any materials he intended to hand out at the event itself, replacing the Komen ribbon,
- publish the Komen C&D letter online, and insert it with any printed materials being handed out
- encourage a "write in" campaign from his supporters to Komen

Good luck!