View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 07:05 PM  
maxjohan
Confirmed User

What extensions to use are less important now days.

Look at Twitch.tv. Sold for almost $1 billion usd.

While you will lose a few people to the dot com. You will gain some recognization I believe. By standing out. It's like that purple cow example by Seth Godin or whatever. If you use a tld no one else uses. And it fits your market. Then you can get an edge I believe.

But overall. It's all about providing value. Look at The Pirate Bay. They change tld every 6th month or so because of legal reasons. And the people follow them.

The major reason for using a dot com is to get type in traffic. But I admit. I haven't always thought about it like this. I was a huge pro dot com a couple years ago.

Also. Minecraft haven't bought the dot com yet. And are using dot net. They sell like 8,000 copies of their game each day for 19,95 EUR. They make boatloads.

So... it's about marketing first and for most. And creating a valuable business.

But if we are talking top generics. Sure. I rather own Laptops.com than Laptops.social. Just because of the type in traffic. And the overall recognization.

But overall I don't believe a TLD make or break your business. It's what you do with it that matters.
maxjohan is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote