View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 10:39 AM  
pminus

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenernate View Post
I'm personally not at all surprised off-the-shelf automation solutions have been inadequate. "Pick an appropriately enticing thumbnail image" is one of those tasks (see XKCD 1425), something you can't easily have your computer do even if your computer is Watson. Also, if the tags and titles aren't being supplied by the content providers that's a small additional truckload of creative work that needs to happen manually (though I could see building a system that would enable an uploader to do this in batches rather than piecemeal). I'm sure there are more. Best case scenario here isn't eliminating the uploaders entirely, it's just streamlining the process to the point where one uploader can keep his connection saturated, and the other four become redundant.
Assuming the creative is sent as part of the media payload, automation is feasable if tube sites provided POST access, but obviously one could use browser automation. The issue then becomes maintenance.

Also I agree that if the creative is not included, automation's a null issue. There is Mech-Turk though. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenernate View Post
Consider the problem I was facing a few months ago: Playing an MMORPG (FF14) with a horrifically grindy and boring crafting system, a scenario openly hostile to automation. A drinky bird wasn't going to cut it because each attempt at making an item required a mouse click to initiate the process, but from there just needed a few keyboard presses at predictable intervals. With a few fancy libraries involved, the Python code necessary to completely automate that process was trivial, no API needed - but if I wanted to package it up and have other people using it under arbitrary conditions, I'd still be writing code. If no one else ever has to see or interact with my filthy hacks, though, there's a lot I can accomplish.
Oh how I love the mighty Python ;)
Code:
from .cooler import Beer
Are you sure you can't automate it standing in front of an NPC while using some Macros and a keyboard with G-Keys? Maybe you need a, Magic.AHK!

Oh and don't beat yourself up too bad over having filthy hacks, you can always wrap them up. ;)

Don't cry, work! Or GFY!
pminus is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote