View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 PM  
SilentKnight
Megan Fox's fluffer

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
There is a woman that works at a grocery store I shop at regularly. She is likely in her late 70's and just works there part time as something to do. She is very nice. One day she and I were talking about my buying storage units and she told me about something she and her husband have. Her husband is older then her and was an 18-year-old communications operator at the end of WW2. He was stationed in Hawaii at the time. When the word came down from the pentagon that a cease fire with Japan had been reached and the war was over they sent communications via teletype to their four main hubs and those hubs then relayed the information via radio etc to other bases, ships, communications outposts etc. He was stationed at one of those hubs and was working when the teletype came across. After they did their job and relayed the info, he rolled the teletype up and kept it. He still has it. It is one of only four originals from that day and he has no idea what became of the others so it may be the only surviving original. I have no idea if it is valuable or not (I assume it is), but it means a lot to him and she is worried their kids will throw it out because they don't care about it. I told her to take it to someone to have it appraised and even if it has no real value if her kids don't want it arrange for it to be donated. Any number of museums would love to have it.
Fascinating story.

I can imagine something like that would be highly valuable - hopefully she's wrong about the kids and they come to treasure it as a piece of family history.
SilentKnight is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote