View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 02:22 PM  
SykkBoy
Jesus loves bacon

Industry Role:
We've started flex time schedules here. Basically, how long does it take you to do your job? Can you get 10 hours of production by working hard for 6 hours? Then work 6 hours. need an extra day or two off for family? Is your work done? Project up to date? Then do it.

I used to kill myself working 10-12-14 hours days in this business and I ended up with a heart attack at age 38 and more stressed out then ever before, even though I was making more money. I've since worked hard to create a work/life balance and it's paying off. I'm as productive as ever, take vacation days here and there, don't have to miss my kids' big events and get more family time. I've never been healthier or happier.

A lot of companies are moving towards things like unlimited vacation time, flexible work schedules, etc. and seeing productivity increase. We've seen it and it's not that the office full of lazy people. We just focus on being productive and completing tasks and projects versus what time it says on the clock. I love that I'm in the office by 7, usually done by 3 and have my whole day to devote to my family after that, sometimes my work is done by 1 and other, I have to bust ass until 5.

I find it odd that America is considered lazy, when we work longer hours, shorter vacation times and fewer breaks. It;'s not always about how many hours you put on your time card. What is your quality of life?

If this country finds that their quality of life if made greater by working their workers for fewer hours, they ended up gaining in the long term.
SykkBoy is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote