View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 05:58 PM  
signupdamnit
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErectMedia View Post
I wouldn't trust any private whois to keep it 100% private. I've been selling/brokering domains for over 11 years and without saying too much let's just say I can get info on almost any domain. You're better off using a PO Box and google voice or throw away cell number so if shit ever does come loose it's not gonna reveal your home address/home phone.
Good advice on the PO Box and the Google number but keep in mind that the USPS has a policy where basically if anyone asks for your home address based on your PO Box they have to give it out. There is a form which they simply fill out to get the info.

The other thing is watch the ARIN (IP ownership data) data if you have a dedicated host. Once that gets out it's hard to get it back and you may not notice until it is too late.

The good news is that typically the public free services drop the old data after a few years or at least it is inconsistent on Google. If your info does get out on something embarrassing the best policy I have found is to change it so it is no longer valid to minimize the damage. For instance if your phone number gets out then change the number (obviously this doesn't work so well for your name). Soon people will forget your old number and it is far less likely to have the embarrassing info associated with you. Then NEVER give out sensitive info to anyone ever again. Enforce the barriers and make no exceptions going forward.

You don't like my posts? Put me on ignore or fuck right off. I'll say what I want.

Last edited by signupdamnit; 09-14-2014 at 06:00 PM..
signupdamnit is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote