View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 PM  
chaze
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikkn View Post
Hi,

I would like to have your input on what server setup I should choose for my website.

- I have 10.000+ high quality pictures. It will grow with 200-300 pictures a week.
- I have 100+ HD videos. 1-2 gig each and I will add 2-4 videos a week.
- My traffic will be mainly from Europe and USA.
- I need a backup setup.
- My plan is to have one server for the videos and one for the rest.
- it`s a website where you pay to become a member.
- Only from thehun.com and similar I can get 50 to a 100.000 visitors a day, but this is low quality traffic which I don`t need, but the servers must be able to handle the traffic. 99% of them just look at the first page and continue looking at the other links on thehun.
- I will probably have 500 - 1000 active members using the website every day, but I must have a system which can easily scale up to handle a lot more members.
- I would like to use dedicated servers.

I have heard about something called "a smart dedicated server" which is managed by a thin hypervisor layer which can simple scale up with RAM without a reboot so I get less downtime. Is this on the market now? I also hear a lot about cloud hosting, but I am not sure how this works.

I appreciate all replies.
That is what's called a virtual server and means you are on a share server with others. This is fine for normal sites but for your amount of connections and bandwidth you will need a dedicated server with a 2tb or 3tb drive. I would suggest at least 4-8 gigs of ram to keep your streaming smooth and of course premium bandwidth so it's fast and reliable.
chaze is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote