View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 PM  
WDF
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplatterMaster View Post
Maybe I set AK on too high of a pedestal and expected too much from him in too little of time. But I kept "watching this space" and was hoping one day to see a post like "forumophilia (or any big board) has been unable to find a file locker to work with them. As a result their site went black". But that day never came, and DMCAs were sent out.
The type of impact you indicate you were expecting is do-able but requires much more of an effort then was ever supported here. It takes a lot of time and resources to get a site shutdown or taken offline legally. It might be done if you concentrate the efforts on 1 site over a period of time and with ample resources. Although as long as the ability to profit exists another would replace it in no time at all. AK's effort employed a different strategy, rather then targeting people, domain names, content takedowns, sites, etc. he targeted the cash flow. You need to kill the cash flow to kill the sites.

Did you really expect a small underfunded group of volunteers to forcibly close large piracy sites in 18 months time? Expecting that type of result from dimes when there are dollars being spent on the other side is a bit unrealistic. I am sure many of you will begin to see the effect the effort did have in a month or 2 when the ability to monetize goes unchecked. You are dealing with people numbering in the millions that become very irate over $10 a month.

It would seem that a great deal of education about the other side of the equation needs to happen for many to understand what it actually takes to make the kind of impact you were expecting. Trust me if it was easy this thread would not be here at all.

Currently there are very few TLD administrators that are responsive with domain registration revocations/terminations based on their requirements to maintain a valid registration for their TLDs. Those that do still require you to build a reputation with them to be responsive in a timely (approx. 30 days) manner with the appropriate evidence. Many of their preferred hosting providers are totally unresponsive because of their backroom method of operations. I can't elaborate any more about that here or publicly though.

This is why we have large hosting providers "Unknowingly" continuing to host spam bot-nets with domain names have been revoked/terminated, but that is another story for another thread.

There is NO instant gratification for this type of work, it is a long process if you do it legally and are lucky enough to be successful.

While other organized efforts have seemingly been bought by the very people they are supposed to be fighting AK was making enough of an impact to be hated and feared by the other side. Making mitigation and removal deals with file lockers for your donating members is just another protection racket that borders on organized criminal activity IMO.
WDF is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook