View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM  
dcalm
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fris View Post
would be much better if it ran on the server, not on windows
Hi, this really depends how you use it and well... if you want to run it on server, the windows vps's are pretty cheap and it was tested on such a server.

When you consider example of person who has let's say 100 blogs and works with 100 sponsors the desktop solution is much better for bandwidth and server load. I've worked with really heavy scrapers (one of them does tube scrapes and operates on 100k posts wp tube adding few hundreds posts every day since about two months and its php/server side solution).

Now it's still not that much, but it will put load on your server... its cool with pictures, but once video scraping will be added using it on server is simply overkill unless you use your own good (at least) vps or dedicated host... you're still welcome to do it that way if you want

btw. many scrapers cant run on cheap/free servers because they require a lot of stuff or they take a lot of resources (if you drop 5k urls list to download), but this can be used even with free host so that's why "I went in" wth desktop app rather than server running php script.

second thing for using client side application:
imagine that you use it as a php script on shared hosting, how you can guarantee you wont get on the very same ip that other ppl using this script? and if it cannot be guaranteed then it means you're running into situations where posting to the same blog hosts (assuming your not using it just on your own network) goes from the same ip - that can lead to a quick ban.

Last edited by dcalm; 07-17-2013 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: second thing added ;]
dcalm is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote