View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:30 AM  
GrantMercury
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minte View Post
You tend to forget that we live in a global economy. We compete with companies in Ningbo. You have this great eutopian vision on how things should be. The facts are that ship has sailed. Ningbo doesn't pay overtime. Ningbo doesn't pay their employees anywhere near our minimum wage. Ningbo also doesn't offer healthcare benefits.

You want your computers cheap..made in CHina, your Iphone,your television,the clothes you wear. Many of the parts in the cars you drive. All from China.

You want to go to a Walmart and save big money. Well,you saved it.

Welcome to the newage. It's not going to improve for that group at the bottom. No matter what Obama and his team want.
I hear you. I DON'T want to go to WalMart and buy cheap, slave-made garbage, and I never do. I buy local whenever I can, even if it costs a little bit more. I think it would be fucking great to buy a US-made iPhone, even if it cost a little more. It would give people decent jobs right here. I'd feel good about buying the latest gadget, and the people on the assembly line would have money to spend on my phonesex.

And sure, it's a global economy, but there's lots we can do to keep the race to the bottom from ruining our middle class. We can protect our markets. China does it. Lots of countries do. America? We give companies tax breaks to move operations overseas. True, there is tons of corporate money corrupting out political system, influencing this type of legislation, but the main reason it happens because people just don't pay attention. People don't take part. Most people can't even name their lawmakers. That, IMO, is the biggest problem facing this country.

How many hard working blue collar types know about this?

Quote:
Washington, D.C. ? The U.S. Senate today took up the Bring Jobs Home Act, but despite a majority of senators voting to provide incentives to companies that bring good jobs back to the U.S., the bill failed to get the 60-vote ?super majority? needed break a Republican filibuster and move the bill to the Senate floor. The final vote was 56-42.

The legislation, introduced by Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) and cosponsored by Senators Durbin (D-IL), Whitehouse (D-RI) and Blumenthal (D-CT), would provide tax credits and help for business expenses for companies that move jobs back from overseas. This bill also closes a loophole that allowed companies to be eligible for U.S. tax breaks while offshoring good jobs.
http://www.cwa-union.org/news/entry/...d#.UG3bdk3A-So

GrantMercury is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote