View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM  
sperbonzo
I'd rather be on my boat.

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
Agreed.

This thread really has you thinking about the youth of today. From threads like this, the best I can figure the world is now set up as some sort of nanny state where there is little personal accountability or responsibility. It goes something like this....

Employer:
Is supposed to provide you a minimum wage that gives you MTV cribs standard of living.
Is supposed to provide you free/low cost health care.
Is supposed to provide you a few paid weeks vacation.
Is supposed to provide you unemployment/disability coverage.
Is supposed to provide you a 401k/IRA/retirement dollar matching plan or profit share.

What your employers does not provide falls on the government to take care of.....

Is supposed to provide you living expenses if you feel you're over qualified for a McJob.
Is supposed to provide you free higher education in an effort to get a job or career.
Is supposed to provide you a retirement fund in case you do not invest in your future.
Is supposed to provide you financial bail outs for your poor decisions in life like bad mortgage.

It leaves you to ponder this queston.... what is it exactly that is YOUR responsibility as an employee now-a-days?

It seems that the employer and government is supposed to do just about everything else other than wipe your ass for you compliments of the tax payer. In exchange for your few hours of labor that you get paid for, I see that the teder totter is lopsided in favor of the worker big time.

I'd hazard a guess that even at $8.00/hour that TRUE COST of that minimum wage employee is more like $12.00-15.00/hour expense to the employer once you are done adding in all of the employer matching, insurance, taxes, medicare, SS, and any benefits and premiums given as a value add.

Minimum wage was NEVER meant to be a "living wage". It was meant to be a starting level for young people just getting into the work force. If we push it into the level of a "living wage", then people will be trapped there for their entire careers, and young people will never get any job experience since no one will hire them for the same wage that they have to pay everyone else. Right now less than 5% of people earn minimum wage, but as the union lobbies and the government push it higher, watch more and more people being stuck there, and more and more teenagers out of work.

I really feel horribly sad for the people on this thread that have been sold this idea that they are just victims, drifting along to the mercy of others that will control their fate, instead of being taught that their fate is in their own hands and that peaceful, voluntary interactions between adults is the best way to have both freedom and success....

[email protected] / http://Acellafinancial.com/

ICQ 177961090 / Tel +1 909 NET BILL / Skype msperber
sperbonzo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote