View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM  
Robbie
Leaner, Meaner, Faster

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMercury View Post
Seriously?

1. Companies charge what the market will bear. Always have. Always will. If raising their prices for any reason (regulations, taxes, increased min wage, or simply a desire for higher profit) results in a price the market rejects, the price will come back down. If they can get away with raising the price as a result of a higher minimum wage - they'd already be doing it and pocketing the extra $$$.

2. That "raising the minimum wage hurts the poor due to the resulting higher prices" argument only works on Limbaugh's audience. By that logic, the best thing to do for the struggling working class is CUT their wages - then think about how much better their standard of living would be with all the products they'd be able to buy dirt cheap!
GrantMercury...you need to own a business and then you might understand it.

Yes, I can charge UP to the point the market will bear. But if my costs go up, I'll be goddamned if I'm going to cut into my profit or worse start losing money.
I will simply raise the price.

It's happened all through the years. Whenever ANYTHING raises overhead the cost is ALWAYS passed on to the consumer.

Your theories also don't work when we are talking about food at the supermarket and other staples and necessities of life.
And if anybody makes minimum wage in this country it would be the stock boys at the grocery store...or the checkout girls.
So yes...it WILL raise the price.

The fact that you don't understand that shows your relative age and lack of experience in this world.
Give it another decade and you'll start to understand how the world really works (if you're lucky) and then maybe you too can be successful and make really good money and see how you feel then about the federal govt. redistributing that for you.