View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM  
Half man, Half Amazing
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog View Post
Brad's panel was on web hosting; it was not meant to concentrate on one web host. Brad knew that there were going to be some people there that just wanted to confront Leaseweb, but that was not the purpose of the panel, so he gave them their time then attempted to move along.

Like a moderator is supposed to.
That's not an exactly accurate depiction of what happened. Brad did try to do his best as as a moderator, but his first reaction when the issue of copyright infringement was brought up was to not allow the piracy topic in the first place. In his words "that's a subject for a whole other panel". So apparently hosts that support piracy are not to be questioned about hosting piracy on a panel about hosting.

"In other words, move along there's nothing to see here" approach.

Only after other people spoke up and basically forced the topic was the topic even discussed. Then Brad tried to frame it as an attack on the whole panel, despite the continued assurances from the audience that 4 of the 5 people on that panel don't even have to chime in on this topic, because only one of the panelists was a known piracy haven.

So Brad was just caught in the middle but IMO he took the approach of defending Leaseweb instead of allowing them to be held accountable for their actions. The rumors floating around are that Leaseweb knew this COULD happen and wanted assurances they would not be questioned about piracy. They wanted softballs and "how great is Leaseweb" level ass-kissing. I was happy to give them just the opposite.