View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM  
GrantMercury
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro View Post
I like what this person has to say

I am really tired of the NRA. The second amendment might give people the right to bear arms, but I don't think it was a guarantee outside of a regulated militia. It doesn't say any thing about not taxing it.

I would like to see ammunition taxed at a rate that would recover the cost of swat teams, the increased security made necessary in public places by gun violence, victim compensation, emergency room costs for victims etc. The tax would likely have to be far in excess of the 50% being proposed to cover the costs. We pay all sorts of other user taxes (gas tax for instance), it is only fair to pass the cost of gun ownership to the user instead of the general public. I think it should be applied nationally against gun powder on a per grain of weight basis, to create a fund that reimburses the states for the above cost. I know this is a tall order, so I really appreciate the effort to get it started. Hopefully the national government will finally get it's act together, but I am not holding my breath
Some good ideas in there. I imagine they would to appeal to any "fiscal conservative" or libertarian who understands the cost of gun violence in taxpayer dollars.
Quote:
In this report we share the findings of the Center for American Progress?s survey of the monetary costs incurred as a result of the murderous rampage at Virginia Tech five years ago. This paper assesses this cost at $48.2 million for the taxpayers of the United States and the commonwealth of Virginia, and for Virginia Tech, a public university. This report also demonstrates how the loopholes in the background-check system failed to protect American citizens from an armed and dangerous Seung-Hui Cho, costing innocent lives?many of them young ones. This was compounded by the legal use of high capacity magazines which transform often traditional firearms into killing machines.
http://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/node/1134
GrantMercury is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote