View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 05:54 PM  
kane
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard View Post
I find it hard to believe that people would want to be on unemployment instead of working. I understand that some people would rather not work, but unemployment at it's maximum doesn't pay enough to cover the rent.

I still remember the video of the black woman in Chicago who was complaining to the news about having her power cut off while in the background was a flt screen TV bigger than I what I own and an Xbox.
I guess what I meant isn't so much unemployment but actual welfare. The example of the person I know is a friend of mine's sister. She is a waste of a human being. She is 29 years old and literally has worked about 6 months total. She hasn't worked since she was 21. She got knocked up at 21 and went on welfare. She has been on it ever since. She applied for section 8 housing assistance (she lives with her parents because welfare only gives her a few hundred dollars per month) and got it. They told her that she had to get a part time job and then she could be able to get the housing assistance. This assistance would basically let her get a 2 bedroom apartment for about $100 per month rent. When she heard she had to work to get it she declined it and actually told my friend that she did so because working just isn't for her. The amazing thing was the social worker said she would help her find the job and the government would pay for her daycare if she needed it and give her free bus passes to get to work.She still turned it down.

Part of her problem is that her parents allow this to continue. They let her live with them rent free and never bother her about getting a job or doing anything with her life so they are enabling this behavior.

So there are some people out there who would rather live in poverty than put forth an effort, but I think the number is pretty small.
kane is online now   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote