View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 PM  
bigluv
Confirmed User

Typical of GFY hardly anyone understood what you said Sly.

I've built server rooms, but my little home wiring closet doesn't have much heat generating equipment in it to worry about.

I've had your same issue though, where my equipment was heating up the area it was in too much. Here's a few tips -

1) Reduce the heat the equipment puts out. Sleep idle hard disks, turn on processor power management, see if you've got any 'green' features on your video card - better yet use hibernate or deep sleep for as little heat generation as possible. This depends on what you use your boxes for though.

2) An upgrade might actually be cheaper if you've got one component that is confirmed to be generating a larger percentage of the heat. When I lived in a small apartment I used to have a PC that heated the whole place year round. Not fun. You can get an idea by checking the wattage for your processor/video card.

3) If the above doesn't work, then the question becomes, can your equipment live in your server closet without cooling. If its going to generate too much heat to cool passively or with just air circulation and/or increase failures of the equipment, then you are into installing AC and all that entails - piping in a drain, etc. A hassle IMO.

4) If 3) then why not consider adding more A/C to your office or living space to deal with the heat. Simpler than moving everything and THEN adding AC in a room without a window. There may be other factors, such as noise, aesthetics, but this is a consideration.

Good luck
bigluv is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote