View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 AM  
Zoxxa
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymor View Post
People carry a pistol because it's hard to carry a cop. I don't know about Canada, but here the cops investigate violent crime after the fact, not swoop in from above like Spider Man and save the day.

So am I more likely to stop an assault on my family than to have the calvary show up at just that second? Yeah, about a million times more likely. Here, it's news if the cops happen to be there and stop a crime - a rare event.

Hell, I spotted a cop a block away as I saw a man assaulting a woman with a tire iron. I rushed over to the cop who shrugged when I reported what was happening. The cop shrugged and said "what am I going to do about it?" Maybe the RCMP is different, but here the good cops show up an hour later to figure out who killed you. The bad cops sit a block away while you're being killed.

Having said all that, you mentioned "well trained". I agree anyone carrying a weapon should be well trained and should keep training on an ongoing basis.

I respect this idea, and I imagine the gun problems in America would be much less if everyone that carried a gun was well trained. That just simply does not look like the case and you have people that could not pass Grade 7 math on a good day carrying loaded weapons expecting to use them in extremely high pressure situations when you need to make logical thought a priority. This sounds like a recipe for innocent people getting killed, and I would love to know the statistics on how many people have saved their family from a criminal compared to how many innocent people were murdered from people "trying to save the day".

Lastly, what disturbs me even more than gun carrying is how you describe your police force. It is almost sad the opinion you have of them and I think that should be a valid and much more important topic Americans should be discussing about and fixing. You should feel safe in your own neighborhood, from an outside perspective it seems like Americans feel like they have no say anymore in how their country is run, maybe that is true, but I am sure as fuck Canadians would have rioted city halls all over the country for changes if we had half your problems.
Zoxxa is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote