View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM  
Brujah
Beer Money Baron

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymor View Post
while the party that passed the Civil Rights Act are the racists? Are you really so ignorant of the facts that you fall for that BS?
See? I already showed the facts involved in this 1964 issue, and we still get comments like this. Unlike others, I didn't call anyone racist. I don't need to. I can simply point out the facts that are left out, obscuring the context.

The United States is filled with men in its history who made tragic mistakes. Byrd and Thurmond are two such men but they alone do not represent an entire party. At best, they may represent their constituents who continue to vote for them.

Byrd changed his mind, regretted his filibuster and voted for the civil rights act of 1968. I don't know when Thurmond came to his senses. Both of them were wrong obviously, but so were the others, including the 100% of Southern Republicans in the House, and 100% of Southern Republicans in the Senate who also opposed the act. It was a different time in our history and we've worked to change things since then. They'd both be about 100 years old by now if they were still living, but they're not and they're not running for office either. Look at it for what it really is. A fraction of the big picture.

Republicans are the party that passed the Civil Rights Act? Are you kidding?