View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 PM  
Vjo
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Monument Valley, Arizona

Barry, real nice contribution, we have the same tastes. I dont think I ever seen anyone post Uriah Heep besides me. Gonna listem to all 4 now.

Shade, I hear ya man and that is part of what this thread is about. The solitude, peace and beauty of the old west. The thing is a lot of us are stuck in certain places and to see scenery and hear stories of the west takes us places even if only in our mind.

Fletch, listening to Earth and I really like it. Thought it was gonna be another head banger group but indeed it is "soundscape" music which I never really heard of. But I really like. This is the kind of thing I hoped this thread would bring out. Good stuff. Ominous music. Badlands music.

Monument Valley, AZ (photos by Kurt Engle http://www.panoramio.com/photo/36963480 )

In fact now I think the direction should maybe be more towards scenery shots as that seems to be more real with feeling and takes us places. Maybe throw an outlaw in with a quick story.

Very happy to see there are some wild west fans and outlaw afficionados in the bunch.

Apache Trail in Arizona

more Apache Trail in AZ

Ya gotta watch that desert wandering stuff. Few guys (like the MMA guy, Evan Tanner) found it can be deadly even if prepared. But I know you know that but felt I better say something.

My friend recently had a heatstroke in North Carolina on vacation hiking. He hiked a stretch 3 previous days (mile in, mile out) with no probs.

Like Tanner he is in super shape. Cuts wood for heating and money and throws around heavy logs on a regular basis. Prob no harder work. Anyhow on day 4 he suddenly got hit with heatstroke while a mile in. Only thing that saved em was his sopping wet tshirt he put over his head which allowed him to sit and somewhat get his bearings and then go for it.

Said his heart was beating something terrible. He suddenly lost conciousness (heat stroke) and went down. Scared the hell out of him. He got low on water (electrolytes) more than likely after 3 prev days of hiking.

He had no water on him. Only his confidence in himself (prob like Tanner) and it almost killed him.

---

Elfego Baca

Infamous Lawyer and Marshall

Survived a shootout for 36 hours against 80 cowboys

(short version)

Elfego Baca cornered in the tan adobe house attached to the Frisco store in Frisco, New Mexico (now Reserve, NM) by 80 cowboys for 36 hours. They shot over 4000 rounds at the house and him. He was never hurt and eventually surrendered. During the shootout he killed 4 of the shooters and wounded eight others. He had a slight dugout floor allowing him to avoid the shots.

(1993 pic, house since restored)

(full version)

c&p

When Baca was about 15, he claimed to have befriended the infamous Billy the Kid. Looking for excitement in Albuquerque, they supposedly witnessed a murder. Later, Billy fired his pistol several times, making noise and irritating a deputy sheriff. Although Baca believed his companion was Billy the Kid, history has placed Billy elsewhere. While Baca and New Mexicans perpetuated the legend, his real life played out like a Western novel.

At 19, carrying a mail order badge and a stolen gun, Baca arrived in Frisco, near Reserve, N.M. The Spanish settlement had three scattered plazas, which were the stomping grounds for many cowboys who would wreak havoc on the citizenry.

Baca had heard from Lower Frisco’s Deputy Sheriff that some cowboys drinking at Milligan’s Saloon had “altered” a man nicknamed “Burro” in front of an aghast crowd. When a brave man stood up for “Burro,” the drunken cowboys tied him to a post and used him for target practice. The sheriff would not make any arrest because he feared for his life, but Baca did not scare so easily.

The now deputized Baca struck the opening blow of a “war” by arresting one Charlie McCarthy after he shot off Baca’s hat in defiance of his orders to end his aggressive behavior. A gunfight ensued between Baca and a group of cowboys demanding McCarthy’s release. One man died when his horse fell on top of him.

After a brief trial where McCarthy was charged and fined for drunk and disorderly conduct, Baca made himself scarce. He eased through a crowd of cowboys concealing his identity by lowering his hat over his eyes. Soon members of the angry mob sought out Baca and discovered he was hiding in a jacal, or shack.

The jacal consisted of flimsy walls and dirt floor that was 12 to 18 inches below ground. When a cowboy named William Hearne tried to kick the door down, Baca fired two shots through the door, killing Hearne and beginning what became known variously as the Battle of Frisco, the Mexican War or the Baca Cowboy War.

Several versions of the story say that some 80 cowboys surrounded the jacal and began firing. Baca withstood the next 36 hours of gunfire by lying prone on the sunken dirt floor and returning fire from crevices between the wooden slabs of the shack. Night came and many wondered if Baca was still alive. By morning the answer came when smoke arose from the house and the smell of breakfast filled the air.

Frank Rose, a Socorro County deputy sheriff, agreed to take control of the matter. Rose offered to spare Baca’s life if he agreed to surrender and stand trial for the killing of Hearne. Baca responded, “I am your prisoner, but I will not surrender my guns.” According to the story, thousands of shots had shredded the jacal, but Baca emerged unscathed.

Baca kept his promise. In May 1885 he was charged with the death of Hearne and jailed until his trial. In August 1885, a jury found him not guilty.

The story of Baca and his amazing aim spread quickly. He became Bernalillo County Sheriff and served until 1888.

(more)

http://dnn.epcc.edu/nwlibrary/border...lfego_baca.htm

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfego_Baca

---

Wild West Ghost Towns (could also be fun to focus on)

Springville, Utah (restored)

Virginia City, Nevada (restored this street for tourists)

Welcome! You are in a Vjo thread Strictly for yours and mines entertainment. (hopefully)

I know that's bad grammer. hehe This is the old west remember.

these guys really hit the spot

This would be the exact opposite of sig whoring lol

Basicly I make one good post a day and by next year we have..

EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about the wild west.

You are wrong, ole sattle sore breath.

You mean there's more?

(old Tonight Show bit)

Last edited by Vjo; 11-04-2011 at 06:28 PM..
Vjo is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote