View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 06:50 AM  
raymor
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by campimp View Post
i dont believe in god solely due to the idea of hell.

the loving, forgiving, all wise god that religious people believe in would never eternally damn someone for something they do during a brief 70 year period on earth.
I don't believe in hell either. At least, not the stereotypical fire for sinners kind.
Particularly given the Bible, which some claim to be the source of their belief in hell, says:
"the penalty for sin is death"

and

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies".

Hmm, humans, who sin, die, the Bible says. Not "go to hell", but die. Given the scant references to such a hell in the Bible, it seems quite plausible that most of the biblical writers perhaps didn't believe in people going to hell either.

If at least some authors of the Bible believed that humans, sinners, die, yet they believed in something they called God, that leaves open the possibility that you too could reject the idea of people going to hell while still accepting whatever sense you may have of some sort of God.

I don't know for sure what different Biblical writers believed, of course, other than what they wrote.
It just SEEMS that perhaps many of them didn't share the "burn in hell belief" and few wrote about it.

For me, though, God does not equal hell. I know that daily I experience something I call God.
I'm pretty sure Mallick isn't going to burn in hell, though he may have made his own.
Throttlebox - The next generation in bandwidth control
Clonebox - Backup and disaster recovery on steroids

Last edited by raymor; 08-26-2011 at 06:59 AM..
raymor is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote