View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM  
Paul Markham
Too old to care

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsain View Post
The mention of equipment got me to thinking about using film.

Before digital I shot almost everything using Kodachrome 64 and I remember when Fuji came out with Velvia 50. Photographers seemed to really like the new Velvia but the few magazines ( non adult ) that I worked with still insisted on Kodachrome.

I was wondering what you used back in the day and if it was always your choice or whether the magazines had some sort of requirement that you had to adhere to.

It would also be intersting to hear how much film you used for one shoot. Did you set a limit on how much film you would use to stay within a budget or just shoot until you got the desired results?

I was at a car show last weekend and got to talking to someone about film vs digital and I told them that back in the day I would come to an event like this with two rolls of 36 exposures and have to make each one a keeper. Now that it's digital I took over 1200 that day and got 350 keepers at no extra cost.
Kodachrome 64, for all but hardcore shoots, then I used Ektachrome.

The magazines were drum scanning transparencies and they were set for Kodachrome or Ektachrome. Velvia had to be filtered in many cases.

The amount of film I used depended on the girl. If she was good and teen we used 10 rolls per scene. Then split the sets into plastic pages, one set for UK, one for US, one for Seventeen usually in their T -Shirl for most and then a set for EU or AU. Japan took second rights sets we resorted when the US or UK mag returned a set. It was a small but lucrative market, but didn't need to get in first.

And that was the secret. If you were able to deliver a brand new good girl first to a magazine your had a guaranteed sale. Had shooters moan at me because Eva and I had shot a girl to death and they couldn't sell what they had shot.

On a Readers Wives, Amateur or Mature lady we shot less. Sometime 3 rolls sometimes 6.

On a BG or GG we would shoot up to 15 rolls.

A roll of Kodachrome was $15, by the time we bought it and paged it up. Developing was in the price.

Digital slashed the film bill by a stroke. The cost of the camera was soon made up with the saving in film. Plus all we did was burn discs for duplicate sets. LOL
Paul Markham is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote