View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 PM  
JustDaveXxx
I AM JUSTDAVE !

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
Great post Dave. I wish I would have thought to use a book years back. Would have saved me a ton of time and frustration.
Me and my buddy Allan E who was a box cover designer and took his 1st sex pics on my sets, came up with that idea about 8 years ago. We copied all of our favorite posses, box shots, sex stills, etc from different web pages selling DVD's and loaded them onto PSP's. We liked a lot of Chris Streams box pics. His stuff always appealed to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
To you guys knocking Paul, don't. I GUARANTEE he would teach even most of the seasoned producers something. You don't get the longevity in this business that he has had by slacking or not being on top of your game. It doesn't matter if you like what he shoots or not, he has made a long living here and that is more than most will be able to say when it's all said and done. We can all learn from others, especially those who have been around for decades. Some of these guys have so many tricks and tips, it boggles the mind.

I'd pay Paul money to sit on a shoot with him for a day and it would be money well spent, I know this for a fact. Every time I get the opportunity to see a real pro shoot or something with years of experience, I ALWAYS learn something new and walk away a better producer for having been there and learning from them.

So on point and i totally agree with you on all of those points.

Working for people that are better than you is the key to getting good at anything.

Me and my buddy Alan way back when took assistance jobs. Alan with a photog named Bret Burny and I took an assistant/C-light job with Craven Moorehead during the day and worked with Chico Wang at night a few nights a week. With what I and Alan learned from assisting we would pool it all in 3 nights a week and practiced till we actually knew what we were doing.

Assisting people that are better than you is solid gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Markham View Post
So are you saying the old blood can't hack it? Then we agree on something. Most of the old blood are stuck in a rut and don't want to change.

But what would new blood bring to the table? New ideas are great, but they need skills to execute them. And a ton of money. You still think it's 1999 when someone could start up a site on a shoestring and keep going until he gets over the initial stages.

No the game has changed and unless someone comes in with a lot of skill. experience and money the idea of them making any changes is far fetched. More likely they will learn from those who haven't changed much in 10 years and carry on doing the same.

However maybe they will buy your CMS.
New blood is shit without learning from the experiences of the old blood.

My skills jumped leaps and bounds as a photog and as a video shooter as a direct result from working for people who were way better than me. Working for free or as an intern for someone who is way better than you at what ever you are trying to be good at, is highly recommended if you can.

Smut Peddler Productions.com
ICQ #378-696-435 / / Skype: JustDaveXxx
"We shoot custom, exclusive content your way"
JustDaveXxx is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote