View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM  
borked
Totally Borked

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
Also, I write all my code with vi/nano via SSH; I don't think I have developed on a workstation or my laptop in over ten years. That fact probably also contributes to my dislike of third-party applications for version control and having to transfer/sync files.
Why on earth do you write code on the command line remotely????

Each to their own indeed, but there are many reasons for developing on a dev server with a GUI, not least for speed. I don't believe you can type without introducing syntax errors, in which case a GUI will save you a lot of time trying to debug.

Also, liek you mentioned for freelance work - mini scripts etc etc... working on a dev server means you can deploy once client has paid in full. I wouldn't expect a client to pay for something not received, nor would I ask of it. That way a remote demo of the working script is proof the work is done, I get paid, the client gets script. Signed, sealed and delivered.

And how difficult is it to "svn ci -m "some message" to remotely commit new changes to a repository? Followed by "svn up" on the client machine?

Old school is admirable and all, but you're the first person I've heard of that develops/writes in vi/nano.

For coding work - hit me up on andy // borkedcoder // com
(consider figuring out the email as test #1)

All models are wrong, but some are useful. George E.P. Box. p202
borked is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote